Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Watch Out for Mr. Stork


This is an actual conversation I had with Spencer a few weeks ago at the zoo. (I just kept forgetting to blog about it!)

Spencer: blah blah blah blah.....
(Okay, that's not what he was saying. But he talks and talks and talks, and I kinda just tune most of it out.)

Spencer: blah blah... and then the stork will bring us the baby! Blah blah blah...

Me: Wait, what? A stork?

Spencer: Yeah, the stork. That big bird. And the baby will be in a parachute and come down and I will catch him.

Me (Trying desperately to figure out where he got this information - certainly not from me!): Um, you know that storks don't bring babies. We go to the hospital and get the baby out of Mommy's tummy. Remember? That's where Josh came from?

Spencer (looking at me as if I were an idiot): I knoooowww, Mom. The stork brings the baby to the hospital for you.

Me: No, remember? The baby is in Mommy's tummy. The stork doesn't bring the baby.

Spencer: No, I mean, not our baby! I mean the baby animals. At the zoo. The stork brings baby animals to here.

Me: Um, nooo... the mommy animals have their babies in their tummies, too.

Spencer: No! The stork drops them! And sometimes they're on a train.

Me: A trai...? Oh. OH. You mean like on Dumbo?

(The boys had watched Dumbo on the way to the zoo. I should have known...)

Spencer: Yeah.

Me: Um, no, that's just a cartoon, sweetie. The storks don't really bring the animals their babies. Animals have babies just like mommies.

Spencer: No.

Me: Yes.

Spencer: NO.

Me: Yes. How about we ask Daddy when we get home? Will you believe what he says?

Spencer: Okay. But he will say a stork.

*A few minutes later.*

Spencer (After having thought about this a few minutes and sounding a little sheepish.): Mommy? Let's not ask Daddy.

Me: Why not?

Spencer: It's a secret. I want this to be a secret.

Me: Right. Because you know it's not a stork, huh?

Spencer (not sounding so sure): No! It's... a stork.

Me: Okay, Spence, it's a secret.

*****************
Perhaps it's time to get a "Where do babies come from?" book. Nothing graphic - just the basics for a five year old. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I have a series of books my mom used for us. They're by Glen C. Griffin, M.D. There are three books: You Were Smaller Than a Dot; About You...and other important people; and Not About Birds. You can borrow them if you want - but you have to promise not to lose them (my siblings will kill me - they all want to use them when they have kids).

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I just pulled them out - and you would probably only want to borrow "You Were Smaller Than a Dot" The others are more for when they approach puberty (I highly recommend looking at the others as you approach those "wonderful" years)

BTW - Could I borrow your carpet steamer? We could make a switch at Bunko. Let me know. Thanks.

Maren said...

Tiff - I'll trade you the steam cleaner for the book at bunko. :)