Poor Cole. He has reflux, which is basically bad baby heartburn. I started noticing symptoms a week ago, and they got progressively worse: lots of spitting up, wet burps, arching his back and fussing while eating, randomly gagging, etc. Yesterday he spit up so hard it came out of his nose - three times. Boy, he sure didn't like that. Poor little guy.
Josh had the same thing when he was a newborn, but it took us forever to diagnose it. Which made Josh hurt. Which made our lives a living... well, we won't go there. Let's just say Cole is lucky we decided to take chance and have a third baby.
So I was determined to nip this in the bud before Cole started getting really bad. (Because right now he's still a pretty good baby - but who wants to take the chance? Plus, I can tell he's uncomfortable.) We've elevated the head of his mattress, we keep his head up for a while after eating, and we try to burp him really well. Plus, he is now on baby Zantac. Hopefully soon he'll go from this:
to this.
Now I just have to work on getting the Zantac into him (it tastes kinda yucky), and, more importantly, stay in him.
2 comments:
They sell flavored syrups at the pharmacy - they work great!
Jack had reflux too. Spit up every where until was a little over a year old. I had to carry a dishtowel with me everywhere because a burp rag was not enough. It is no fun. He would not let me put him down to sleep and was always so fussy. So I totally sympathize. Hopefully the Zantac helps. Jack tried Prilosec and Prevacid. Neither I think really did much.
Post a Comment