Thursday, January 21, 2010

International Food of th... INTERRUPTED.

So today I was all set on doing my first International Food of the Month.  (That's what won the poll, by the way.)  Even though Spencer didn't have school because of an ice storm, and he and Josh were fighting like cats and dogs, and Cole had a cold and was so clingy when he was awake (but slept more!), I was bound and determined to get it done today! 

I started the make-ahead stuff this morning.  I cleaned house.  I worked on a little bit more of the meal.  I cleaned up my messes in the kitchen.  I dealt with Josh's now-daily 38 tantrums.  I broke up a few more fights. I even vacuumed and mopped - no small feat these days.

It was 3pm and I was just about to start on the last part of the meal when Cole woke up from his nap.  Usually I just lay him on a blanket while he drinks his bottle, but this time he wanted to be held.  No problem; I had a little extra spare time.  I was holding him when all of a sudden WHAT IN THE WORLD IS COMING OUTTA THAT BABY'S EAR!??!?  Mucousy-greenish-brownish goop started pouring out of his ear.  It was nasty.  It was grossing me out.  It was just about to get on my couch when I finally grabbed a nearby burp cloth.

It didn't seem to to hurt him at all.  He got a little irritated with me wiping his ear for a good five minutes, but he gave more of an indignant "Quit messin' with my ear, lady!" whine and swipe with his hands, rather than an "Ouch!  That hurts!" cry.

Now, I have three kids.  We've been through three broken bones, a couple of cases of thrush, RSV, ear infections, strep, fifths disease, pink eye, and a large assortment of strange rashes, colds, and flues.  During all of that, I had never seen ear goop like this.

I quickly called my pediatrician and they were able to get me an appointment in 30 minutes.  I love my pediatrician, which is why I'm willing to drive 17 minutes to get there.  The doctor took one look at his ear and whistled appreciatively.  Apparently Cole's eardrum had ruptured and there was a good-sized hole in it.  This was especially impressive because he had only started showing cold symptoms the night before.  At 1:30am the night before, to be exact.  (He was up off and on all night - never too upset, easily satisfied with a bottle, so no need to really worry, right?  Boy, I'm a baaaad mom!)

Now, in college I had a double ear infection which culminated in two ruptured ear drums.  IT HURT.  It hurt it hurt it hurt.  I remember sitting on the ER bed with my toes and fingers curled because it hurt so bad.  (Actually the pain was worst right before the eardrums burst.  But whatever.)  My ears bled for two days and oozed grossness for another three.  I've been in hard labor for 36 hours straight, and I'm telling you having your eardrums burst is not for the weak of heart.

And yet here was my seven month old in my arms, happy as a clam, stripped down to just a diaper, and trying to grab the pediatrician's stethoscope.  It boggled both the doctor and I.  He is now know as Superman there.

So anywho.  We were walking out the door, prescription in hand, when I realized that we would have to go to Wal-Mart to get it filled.  Wal-Mart.  The very site of Josh's very loud, very public indiscretion yesterday.  The place I had just yesterday vowed to never return to with Josh.

But I had to.  HAD to.  Why?  Because I'm cheap - Wal-Mart's pharmacy is way cheaper than anywhere else.  And they're close to my house.  And I knew they already had all of Cole's info. 

So I braved it.  With two little boys and the demon child.  (Sorry, Josh.  I'm still not over it.)  In the pouring rain.  Incentives were used.  Threats were made.  Twenty minutes passed.

And we survived.

Whew.

So, International Food of the Month tomorrow.  Assuming we have no more surprise doctor visits.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

What a trooper! I hope Cole feels better soon!

The Short Family said...

Wow! Cole is superman. Jack had ear issues the beginning of this month too. So I feel for you! Must be a January thing. Hopefully Cole is feeling better!