Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring Fest 2010

On Saturday we went up to campus for their annual Spring Fest.  In years past we went mainly for the Roach Races, but this year we decided to keep things short and simple and skipped those.  (I know!  The blasphemy!  But if you're really sad about it, you can relive the glory that is Roach Racing here.)

We spent a lot of time in the Boilermaker Barnyard, where the kiddos got to look at cows, sheep, pigs, etc.  Joshie's favorite part was getting to hold a baby duck and a baby chick.  He was so pleased with himself and so excited!  He particularly liked that the chick kept cheeping at him.  No pictures because I was too busy enjoying Josh's reaction. But I did get a few pictures of these chickens:


And one cute baby rhesus monkey.  (Oh wait - that's Cole.  But lately he's been as clingy as a monkey.  Seriously.)


Josh could have spent hours in that tent - he's turning into a real animal lover.  Spencer was anxious to leave as soon as we got there - he wanted to go spend the $2 I allowed him to bring.  Cole was happy just watching all that was going on.  Lance was grouchy because he doesn't like crowds.

Next we checked out the exotic pinned bug collection.  I didn't know how much the boys would like it, but it turns out that they lurrrrrvved it!  They ran from one collection to the next, oohing and aahhing over the colors and sizes.  Perhaps we have some budding entomologists on our hands?  (That would make Grandpa ElRay proud - he got his Ph.D. in entomology.)  


We wanted to do the bug petting zoo, but the line was way too long, and we had a sleepy monkey, I mean baby, on our hands.  So we headed out to look for the Robotic Battle Beetles, which Spencer really wanted to check out.

On the way Josh had to stop to pet some bunnies.  He was a little nervous at first, but soon got over it.  (I'm proud of him, because he's always been something of a wimp when it comes to animals!)  They were really soft and super-cute. 


Then we had to do a little fishing.  Spencer went first, and of course Josh had to follow.  They were both very pleased with the prizes they found in the 'fish' they caught.


Finally we found the Robotic Battle Beetles, which are just as cool as it sounds.  Well, at least to little boys.  They were these remote controlled beetles, and you had to get your beetle to either flip your opponent over or push him over the edge.  We waited for 10 minutes for these two girls to finish, and the girl in charge of the game finally called it a tie.  Finally, it was Josh and Spencer's turn.  The excitement!  The anticipation!  The battle began!


And promptly ended 90 seconds later when Josh accidentally flipped his own bug over.  Oops.  But Spencer, who was promptly declared the victor, was in heaven.  He even got a Robotic Battle Beetle ribbon.  (Lance and I both thought they should get another chance, since the girls before had played for so long, and each boy had paid $1 to play, but whatever.)

We finished off the outing with milkshakes from Sonic, where I accidentally let Josh's balloon fly out of the van.  OOPS.  Worst mom ever moment.  He was soooo upset.  I felt bad, but what could I do?  He's finally forgiven me, although he asked me several times today where his balloon went.  We finally decided that the balloon flew to Grandpa and Grandma's house in Utah, which seemed to appease him.  (Grandpa and Grandma - if you see a yellow balloon by your house you'll know whose it is!)

3 comments:

Christine Merrill said...

Waaahhh!!! I miss Indiana! (Not ALL the time, mainly during Springfest...)

Ginger said...

I second Christine. When Loren was up at Purdue last weekend, I was hoping that Springfest was then so that we could have a good reason to go. Man.

Marisa May said...

I miss Springfest too!