Today started off pretty well. I had been told we had at least three house showings scheduled for this afternoon. I scrubbed and cleaned all morning. Despite the boys' attempts at getting everything as dirty as possible, I was even done a bit early.
I decided to take them to McDonald's for lunch, rather than have to clean up after them. Again.
We got our food with no tantrums; the kids ate; Cole stole our food; no one minded; the boys played on the gigantic playground; I pondered the overuse of semi-colons. Then I got a phone call asking if they could show my house in 10 minutes. Haha! Of course! We were already gone! I am awesome for leaving early! AWESOME!!
Forty minutes later I got a frantic phone call for my realtor. The second showing couldn't get into the house; the key wasn't working. Could I hurry and drive home and let them in?
Oh crap.
Excuse my language. But what else could be said?
So I rounded up the boys, wiped the ketchup off of their faces, and rushed them out to the van. Luckily, we had been there long enough that there were no tantrums about this sudden departure. Plus, Josh and Spencer seem to really understand a lot about what is happening and why.
(Side note: this morning I discovered that Josh thought that when we sold the house, all of our belongings would be sold as well. He talked about how the "new people in our house" would really like his dinosaurs. It just about broke my heart. I quickly explained that we got to take everything with us, even (and especially!) his dinosaurs. The thing is, he seemed to be fine with the idea of leaving everything behind. He's either really sweet, or doesn't really understand as much as I think he does.)
Breaking several traffic laws I was able to get home in record time. I figured we had just had a bum key in the lock box. I tried my key.
No dice.
Frantic, I tried again.
Now the realtor and the family were walking up to the door.
Again, not budging.
I started rambling on about how this had never happened before and how our locks and keys had always worked. Ah! Umm...! Embarrassment! So sorry! Please by my house at full asking price!
I went in through the garage and opened the front door. Once inside I realized that some of the lights that I know I had left on were now off. So I knew that the previous realtor had gotten in; something must've gone funky with the lock when they left.
I told the realtor to please just leave the door unlocked once he left so the other showings could get in. Then I hopped into the van (where I had left my kids watching "Pink Panther" cartoons) (bless you, installed DVD system!!), drove down the street, around the corner, and then parked so I could call my realtor and then Lance, because when I get all worked up and whatnot I have to call Lance. That's just my thing.
The rest of the afternoon passed mostly without incident: a trip to Home Depot to buy a new front door lock, a trip to the library, and then a trip to DQ to redeem some summer reading coupons. (Cole, by the way, would not eat the ice cream at DQ. What in the world is wrong with that kid?)
We didn't get home until 4:30pm. I was exhausted. I passed out on the couch for a good 45 minutes. I awoke to Josh poking me, demanding dinner even though less than two hours earlier he had eaten his ice cream cone and most of Cole's.
I made dinner. I cleaned up the huge mess that the boys make with dinner.
I bathed the boys. I cleaned up the huge mess that the boys make while bathing.
I yelled at Spencer for dragging Cole around the room with his blankie tied around his neck. Miraculously, no mess with that.
I put the boys to bed. Surprisingly, there was a mess with that.
I wished Lance were here to help. But he's working late. Again. And he won't be here tomorrow night, either. And I'm just tired of never having a break from the boys, because even though I really love them, by 6pm I've pretty much had all I can take.
And then I cleaned up the other random messes I found around the house that must have occurred during my snooze on the couch. Why in the world did some child find it necessary to lick the back door windows? Some mysteries are better left unsolved, I suppose.
And now I'm here, on the couch, whining on my blog. This whole selling of the house thing? Not so fun. Seriously, if I am to keep my sanity, this house needs to be sold soon.
And then it'll be on to buying the new house, packing up this one, moving, and unpacking. And all of the fun associated with that.
*sigh*
2 comments:
You could let your boys come mess up my house instead. Not that it will look any different than it does right now. :)
But seriously, if you need a place to come crash during a showing call me. I can offer an air conditioning, ice water, and lots of toys for little boys to play on.
Ummmm...I'm on the verge of tears right now - because I'm still in the "hurry up and fix everything and clean everything and stage everything by Sunday" mode - because that's when our open house is. And the idea of getting everything done and then trying to keep it that way for an indefinite amount of time makes me want to melt into a puddle on the floor and stay that way. forever.
Post a Comment