Thursday, March 13, 2014

Born Under a Lucky Star

This morning as Spencer was leaving for school I reminded him to bring home a big project he is working on that is due tomorrow.

He went to school.  He came home.  He started his homework.

He did not have the project.

I got mad.  But I did not yell, so Go Me.  Instead, I called the school.  As luck would have it, Kindergarten parent/teacher conferences are tonight, so the school was still open.

So I loaded all four children into the car and rushed down to the school, herded them into the school, checked into the office, got after Spencer several times for this obnoxious attitude, saw the vice principal (who I like) give me a sympathetic smile during one of my reprimands to Spencer, and then herded them all down to Spencer's classroom.

It was as fun as it sounds.

Spencer's teacher was just packing up to leave.  She was pretty happy to see us there, because she had noticed that he had left his project on his desk and she knew he'd get in big trouble if he didn't finish it tonight!  (She's a really great and nice teacher.)  ((And probably a much nicer mom, mainly because she only has one child and he's a baby.))

So we got the project, walked back to the car, got after kids for running, got after Spencer for being obnoxious again, lectured Josh about the difference between telling me what I need to know and tattling, and herded everyone into the car, and got home.

This was twenty minutes ago.  For the past 10 minutes I have been arguing with Spencer over his geometry homework.  Hey, I might have had geometry 20 years ago, but I got an A+ in that class and know how to find the perimeter of a dang shape.  Spencer disagrees.  He said, and I quote, "FINE!  But if I get this wrong it'll be ALL YOUR FAULT!!"  To which I had to respond, "That's fine with me.  It's not my grade.  And I'm NOT wrong, because I am brilliant."  To which Spencer just rolled his eyes and stalked back into the kitchen.

I can't wait until he's in calculus when I can just shake my head and say "Sorry. I took that in college from and Chinese TS who I couldn't really understand and never really got it, so, good luck with that.  Oh, and don't ask your father - he was lucky enough to never have to take that class."

What's the point of all of this?

I'm ready for Spring Break.

No comments: