Friday, April 18, 2014

A Mormon Boy Walks Into a Methodist Preschool...

On Tuesday I went to Cole's preschool to help with their Easter party.  Tess tagged along and was in HEAVEN because they treated her just like one of the preschoolers, letting her participate in the crafts and games and egg hunt.  She thought she was pretty hot stuff.

I was impressed with how religiously themed the party was; sometimes I forget that Cole is at a Methodist preschool.  I was in charge of the snack, which was not religiously themed at all because, to be honest, I didn't even think of that as an option.  (We decorated Easter egg shaped sugar cookies and made fruit kabobs, in case you're curious.)

When I saw Tess and Cole's craft I just had to laugh a little and thought "This is probably not helping the stereotype that Mormons aren't Christians".


Whooo boy, here's a boy who does not know what a cross is!  (I bet he probably thought they were the lower case t's, although that still doesn't explain why they're upside down and such.)  It makes me wonder what his teachers thought about this.  They probably thought it was just par for the course as far as Cole is concerned!

Here's Tess's paper; I'm pretty sure she got a lot of help on it.


(Curious as to why we don't use the cross as a symbol of our faith?  Check this out.  Or this.)

Before everyone sat down to eat their snack all of the children sang a prayer; it was pretty cute, but far removed from our family prayers at meal time!  Cole knew the whole song and folded his hands just right.  Tess looked around at everyone as if they were crazy.  Again, wonder what the teachers thought...  I should have been brave and just mentioned to them how this was different from in our home, but that I was glad my kids were having experiences like this with other faiths.  But I am not always brave, especially when it comes to discussing religion.  I'm working on it.

My favorite part of the morning was during the drive home.  Tess and Cole were both rummaging through the eggs they had found during the hunt; neither had opened them.  Tess shook one of her eggs and then shook it again.  I could hear her pop it open and then exclaim "OH MY GOSH!!!! There's CANDY in here!!!!"  You've never seen a happier girl.

No comments: