Monday, April 21, 2014

Tess's Third Birthday!

Tess's birthday festivities began on Thursday with making her cake.  Tess was adamant about having a pink pig cake.  And what Tess wants, Tess gets!  (Sometimes.)

I have to admit that while we were frosting the cake I stopped for a minute and realized that Tess had been chattering happily for a good 15 minutes and I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about.  Not because she was babbling incoherently or anything, but because she chatters so much now that I just kind of tune it out.  (I know, Mother of the Year over here.)


Here's the finished product.  Not too bad, right?


Well, to add to the birthday excitement, Friday morning we woke to find this on the front door.


At first I thought "Oh great - MORE distractions during a busy school morning!"  But once I declared that no eggs would be found until everyone was bathed, dressed, and had finished their jobs, it was great.  Those kids got ready faster than I've ever seen them!

Since we knew there were 24 eggs I told each child, very specifically, that they were allowed to pick up only 6 eggs.  Josh found his eggs within 60 seconds, and I spent the rest of the hunt yelling at him to stop picking up eggs and helping Tess and and Cole.



"Hey!  Get away from the Nerds candy that I just spilled all over Mommy's freshly vacuumed floor!  Those are MINE!"


For lunch we of course met Daddy at Sam's Club.  This girl still LOVES Sam's Club!  So much so that I bought her Easter dress there (see previous post), and we don't refer to it as her Easter dress.  We call it her Sam's Club dress.  Awesome.

That afternoon I decided to get a few pictures of the birthday girl with her giant cupcake hair accessories (her choice) and her pig cake


At one point I got distracted on the phone and turned around to find this:


Tess had smooshed in some of the chocolate chip mouth and was quite upset about it.  It was cute and heartbreaking at the same time.  So of course I took a picture and then consoled her.


Soon all was right with the world!




Do you like her "3" shirt?


I made it just for Miss Tess!  (I also made Cole a "5" shirt for next month.)


And I made a Dr. Who Dalek shirt for myself.  Because I lurve Daleks. (And I found a t-shirt for $1 at Wal-Mart and figured it was worth testing my shirt-design skills.


For dinner we trekked out to Texas Roadhouse, not because Tess loves it there so much but because we had coupons for 4 free kids meals.  It was a pretty uneventful trip other than the service was super sloooow.

We came home and sang happy birthday, blew out candles (eventually), and opened presents.


Tess got a copy of "Frozen", which we have watched every day since.


Spencer was overly-helpful in opening the gifts.


The grandparents Madsen sent this really pink, really glittery Hello Kitty backpack.


She also got some pretty stylin' shades.  That's one cool lookin' three year old!


Happy happy birthday, Tessie dear!

No comments: