During the middle of the summer, when Tess begged and begged to go back to the Children's Museum (even though we had just gone) ((it might have even been right when we had gotten home from a trip there)), I told her that when the boys went back to school we would have a Mommy-Tessie day and go the museum together. Just the two of us.
Tess held me to my word.
On the first day of school Tess was devastated when she realized we weren't going to the museum RIGHT THEN. Please keep in mind that we had just gotten back from Utah and I hadn't even gone grocery shopping. Please also keep in mind that I had completely forgotten my promise.
So, today, FINALLY, we had our Mommy-Tessie trip. I didn't tell her about it until about 20 minutes before we left. During those 20 minutes I heard "Is it time to go yet?" approximately 19,393 times, which is why I didn't tell her sooner. This ain't my first rodeo, kid.
I told Tess we would do whatever she wanted, whenever. We went all around that museum, from top to bottom. At the beginning of the school year is a good and bad time to go - good because it wasn't crowded at all, bad because they were starting on lots of remodeling projects for new exhibits and such. (What I'm saying is, there was less to see than normal. And that was okay.)
At first Tess loved all of the attention from me. But I think she soon realized that she had more fun with her brothers around. We only ended up staying for a little over 3 hours, and a good 40 minutes of that was eating lunch. (Tess was very excited to have a lunchbox lunch packed just for her!)
We topped it off with a trip to the Museum gift shop, where I let Tess choose a stick of rock candy and pay for it herself. Very exciting! (I never buy stuff there because anything x 4 = more than I want to spend. But $1.40 for rock candy and the love and adoration of a little girl? Sold.)
I'll have to work on finding some other Mommy-Tessie dates for this school year. This is the last year I'll have a child not in full day school and I want to enjoy as much of it as I can. Any ideas for something a 4 year old girl (and her mom) would enjoy doing?
No comments:
Post a Comment