The day before the wedding we hung out for a while at the Madsen's home. It was nice to have a chance to catch up with immediate family and spend some time together. We were even able to help Viggo go through some of Joy's things and help decide what needed to be kept and what didn't.
Viggo with Amanda, my niece, and Tess. I'm not sure what was going on with Viggo's neck... but I do know that Tess had just inherited a pretty nice red purse and was feeling quite sophisticated!
Dane gave Lance this fancy knife gadget thingy for being one of his groomsmen. It even had a light. very cool.
At one point the kids were super bored and going a bit crazy. I think it was while the men were all out picking up their tuxes. So the kids and I walked down to the cemetery to see Joy's grave and to get some wiggles out.
And OF COURSE some Madsen Garbage was played.
I don't remember much else about the day, other than we went back to Provo and had Kevin stay at the house so Lance, Susie, Dad, and I could go out for Thai food. Important memories here, people.
Finally, it was the day of the wedding! But the wedding was not until 5pm. Ugh. So we spent the morning packing up and getting ready for our trip home the next day. Also ugh.
We got all dolled up and took a few pictures on the front porch. Daddy and Tessie matched. It looks like she's about 10 years too early for prom and he's 10 years too late! Hah! But they are pretty cute together!
There's always one kid...
The wedding was held at Heritage Gardens in Sandy. (About an hour from Provo.) Since we had people in the wedding party we had to be there an hour early. Tess had to learn how to be a flower girl.
And Lance had to learn how to walk down the aisle and where to stand.
I tried to keep the boys entertained by letting them take pictures and walking around and looking at things. I thought this display was really nice.
Have you ever tried to keep a rather ornery six year old boy away from a really fancy birthday cake?
No small feat, my friends. (I must have said "Cole! Stay away from that cake!" at least a hundred times.)
Then I had to keep all four of them distracted. I thought it might be nice to have a picture of them out in the pretty gardens. The kids had other plans.
Try #1. Thank you Cole and Tess.
Try #2. Tank you, Spencer and Cole.
Try #3. Thank you Cole and Tess. Growl.
Then I gave up on them and took a picture of a very well-behaved lily pad flower.
Here's the ONE picture of Grammy B I got on this trip! Oops to that. Next trip I'll do better. (Right. I never do.) Lovely, Tess.
Tess and Cole got a little antsy waiting for the ceremony. That's a pretty classic picture there.
A nice moment between the biggest brother and the littlest sister.
A not quite as nice moment with cousin Trevor on the left.
There was a huge mirror on one wall; I tried to take a picture to distract Cole. It didn't work.
Tess and Josh sure were cute!
Tess was in heaven: in a cute, spinny dress, ready to be a flower girl, hanging out in a pretty garden? Forget about it.
Right before the ceremony I had to threaten Cole within an inch of his life into good behavior. You know how he gets. He was being so loud and naughty just because Lance wasn't there and I had my hands full with everything else. So I told him if he misbehaved he'd lose his first gas station treat on the road the next day. He didn't believe me. He lost that privilege, but I told him if he could behave during the ceremony he could earn it back. It totally worked. Crisis averted.
Here's Dane walking down the aisle.
Lance escorted Katrina, his sister.
So handsome!
I'm dying because none of the pictures of Tess really turned out. Dang it! She was so cute and so intent on her job. She was going to be the BEST FLOWER GIRL ever, and she put all of her concentration and effort into it!
Jenica walking down the aisle.
Saying their vows.
Trying to distract Tess during the ceremony with some pictures. Here's the cute basket she used.
Yay! They were married! And my children didn't ruin it by yelling or screaming or being naughty!
About 10 billion pictures were taken, as per any wedding. Tess had been strictly warned and bribed to be good and smile for these pictures. I would just have to say "Smile pretty for Jenica! It's her wedding!" and she would put on this huge grin and look super cute. (She wouldn't do it if we said it was for Dane's wedding, though!)
It was at this time that Cole started asking - very loudly- "IS THIS THE TEMPLE?" Um, no, Cole. Shush. "WHY ISN'T THIS THE TEMPLE? WHY AREN'T THEY MARRIED IN THE TEMPLE?" At which point I had to drag him away for a little chat. Oy. However, I have to admit I'm impressed he made the connection!
The flower girl finally reached her limit.
This wedding had a dinner and it was yummy. Spencer actually ate, but the rest of my kids were punks and refused to even taste much of anything. I'm sure they were hungry, but I didn't care.
There was bread and veggies and chicken; nothing we've never had at home.
Spencer tried to take a picture of Lance and I. First Lance's eyes...
...then mine. Doh.
After dinner poor Cole kept waiting and waiting and asking when we would have cake. CAKE! CAKE! He was ecstatic to learn there would be a dessert buffet, but it was still hard to wait. I think dinner ended earlier than they expected, so there was time to kill between dinner and the reception. Hard times for little kids.
Lance and Dane killed time by talking about very manly stuff.
Finally, it was time for cake!
Cole couldn't stop giggling over them stuffing cake into each other's mouths. Or perhaps he was just happy to finally get to taste that cake!
Checking out the cake carnage.
I thought Tess looked so cute here with her skirt out and flowers in her hands.
Head tilt? Darling!
And then Cole decided to get in on the action. Yup, that's about right.
Jenica threw the bouquet and Tess was devastated not to catch it. (It'd been a long day by this point!)
Then they tossed the garter and Josh caught it! (Of all people...)
He was quite pleased with himself.
This turn of events did not help Tess feel any better.
Here's a picture of a satisfied boy. He caught the garter, his plate is full of cake, and it's a lovely evening.
I tried to explain to the boys that wedding cake doesn't always taste as good as it looks, but said I was wrong and loved it. (I was still right...)
The pretty little gazebo out in the garden. I kinda want to have something like this in my yard!
When the dancing started my kids were pretty much done. Tess was tired and excited and full of sugar and disappointed about the bouquet and about 38 other emotions. But mostly tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment