Sunday, May 13, 2007

Cool plants, mystery plants, no plants

I went to Lowe's the other day, which is very dangerous for me in the summer because they have a great garden section. And in the houseplant section I found this awesome plant. Isn't it cool? It's called a Mexican Rick Rack Cactus. It was all alone among the fru-fru Mother's day hydrangeas and ferns and other flowers. It looked so sad and lonely and out of place among all the delicate pink and purple blossoms. We made eye contact (yes, you can make eye contact with a plant), and it said to me "Help me Maren-wan-kenobi, you're my only hope!!" (Yes, plants can speak, and yes, they make Star Wars references.) I like weird looking plants. I have another one at home called a weeping angel or something like that. Lance and I found it at Home Depot several years ago. It, too, called out for help and needed to be rescued. Come to think of it, that's how most of my houseplants make it into our home.

I love fresh herbs. They are SO yummy! So a few weeks ago for effin'-ayche-eee (FHE/Family Home Evening) we planted some herb seeds. Problem is that I forgot to label which pot had which seeds. Oops. The basil is easy because it's already getting huge - I need to transplant it outside. (And if anyone local would like a basil plant or two, let me know. They're really easy to grow!) But here are the other three. One is rosemary, one is lavender, and one is thyme. Anyone have any guesses as to which is which? I guess only thyme will tell! Hahaha! Okay, I apologize. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. And remember to mark my pots next year.The last picture is of our backyard. Since we finally decided to break down and get topsoil before we lay sod, we figured it would probably be better to pick up as many of the rocks in the back yard as possible. Since the top layer of "soil" was basically gravel, we've been raking and shoveling for several days. I went out there yesterday and this scene reminded me of the movie Holes. Okay, there are no holes in the back yard, but the piles of dirt look fairly similar to the movie, right? (BTW, excellent movie and book - I highly recommend both!) I cannot wait until we get our sod on Saturday!! I need something green and pretty, not this barren wasteland.

No comments: