Sunday, October 7, 2007

General Conference and Running Into President Eyring

My church has what's called General Conference every first weekend in October and April. We get to hear lots of good talks from our church leaders and I always feel so spiritually uplifted afterwards. It's great. Plus we can stay home and watch it on TV. (That's not the main reason I like Conference, but it certainly is a bonus!) It's really cool to know that almost all of the 13+ million members of the church across the world are watching it at the same time.

As much as I enjoy Conference I have to be doing something while I listen or it's snoozeville for me. Don't judge...

So yesterday I worked on the following projects while listening/watching Conference:
  • Made two tablecloths for our upcoming Halloween Donut party.
  • Made a practice batch of donuts to get ready for the party. (Side note: I may have many faults, but I can make a mean donut. SO GOOD. Especially with a few new modifications, mmm baby! I'm sure the donuts are why Lance married me, and I'm okay with that.) As you can see, Josh approved of his first homemade donut.
Put all of the portraits taken in the last six months in our family album.I had a whole bunch of fun things planned for today, too, but I got sick last night. (I think I came down with a little case of what Spencer had the other day.) I felt better this morning, but still a little under the weather. So I spent most of the day on the couch and was able to stay awake for most of the talks (don't judge!).

For those who 'know' the new President Eyring, I have always had a special place in my heart for him. Here's why:
  • My Junior year at BYU I was rushing through the Wilk, probably late for class or something. I was just about to turn a corner, when all of a sudden I stopped short, inches away from the then Elder Eyring! Apparently he was in a rush, too. I said "Oh, uh, sorry!". He smiled, said "Excuse me" and went on his way. I rushed off to wherever, wondering if the Daily Universe would have written a story about it had I collided with an apostle!
  • In 2000 my family and I were at the SLC airport to see my brother off for his mission in Honduras. My other brother and I, Kevin, were walking down one of the terminals to kill time since my brother's flight was running late. Suddenly I saw Elder Eyring walking briskly our way. (I imagine that apostles must always be in a rush. They have so much to do!) I wanted to say "Hey, remember me? We almost ran into each other last year in the Wilk!", but decided to play it cool. I smiled and waved and he did the same. Kevin (who was only 15 at the time so let's give him a little slack) asked me who that was. I answered, in my most sarcastic voice, "Uh, only Elder Eyring, an Apostle of the Lord!" Kevin looked properly chagrined.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

So I would have been your roommate when you almost collided into Elder Eyring. How come I don't remember this story? How come it never made our quote wall? : )

Maren said...

You don't remember? That's weird and totally opposite, because I usually don't remember anything! Well, I remember it clear as day and I can't imagine not having told you...