Monday, October 8, 2007

Vacuum Chicken

I have had a torrid love affair with vacuuming all my life.

It was always my job growing up to vacuum the house every Saturday. Plus, my mom wouldn't let me vacuum around things like rugs or dining room chairs - I had to move them. Talk about torture! I hated it.

But then I got a job as a janitor at the BYU Marriott Center (where the Cougars play basketball). (Yes, I stripped... wax floors... my way through college! Haha! Just a little Marriott Center janitor joke. Stacey gets it.) I used to vacuum the coach's office and loooonnnggg hallways several times a week at 6am. And you know what? I actually liked it! (Probably because there were no rugs or chairs to move!) But I really didn't mind it, and I have fond memories of singing at the top of my lungs while vacuuming because no one could hear me.

And when we lived in our apartment in the ghetto part of Lafayette? Hated vacuuming again. Mainly because the carpet was a different color in every room and that REALLY bugged me. Plus there were stairs, and those are such a pain! But then we moved into our house and I loved to vacuum, even though I was very pregnant! I loved vacuuming because the house was ours and it just made me happy going through each room! Plus, no rugs or chairs except in the kitchen. (Scarred for life much, Maren?)

Okay, so why am I blabbing on and on about my inconsistent relationship with vacuuming? Because I hate vacuuming again. Why? The same reason I have to get up at least once a night to go to the bathroom - my kids. (No, really. They destroyed my bladder. But that's a blog for another time.)

It started with Spencer. A few months ago he started to run around, screaming like a soprano banshee, jumping over and around the vacuum. Tres annoying. Josh soon caught on and did the same, only crawling and getting even more in the way. (If possible.)

It has now escalated into a big game of vacuum chicken. Who can get the closest to the vacuum, touch it, and get away before mom runs you over? I think Josh used to be just a little afraid of the vacuum because he would get just barely close enough to tap the vacuum, scream a Joshie scream, and then crawl away as quickly as a 27 pound baby can crawl. But now he charges the vacuum head on, rears up on his knees, and then plops both hands on the vacuum. He puts his whole weight into it, knowing that I can no longer move the dang thing. Then he proceeds to fiddle with the light and knobs and such until I pick him up and cart him away.

Okay, it's probably partially my fault. I started running into them lightly with the vacuum because I thought it would scare them a little and get them to leave me alone. WRONG! They now think it's hysterical and get super excited when I drag the vacuum out. Spencer actually yells "Run me over, Mommy!"

It would be funny, except that it's so *@&$*~ annoying! It literally takes me twice as long to vacuum. And not vacuuming is not an option with two little boys.

Do your kids go crazy around the vacuum? Or is it just my two little darling odd balls?

6 comments:

Stacey said...

You know what I like to do? When I clean the church building, I stick my keys in my pocket like we did at the Marriott Center, (remember how they had those leather squares on the keyring that you'd stick in your pocket and your keys would hang out?) I feel so much more the part of a custodian when I do that.

Ginger said...

YES! Sam does the same thing! It hasn't gotten completely out of control because I yell at him for it, but he still goes CRAZY when the vacuum is on--like whenever it's on is the time to misbehave.

Maren said...

Stacey, I think you will always have a bit of custodian in your heart. :)

Maren said...

Ginger -

I yell at the boys, too, but that only worked for a while. It's nice to know that my kids aren't the only crazies! Someone should do a study on why vacuums seem to turn children into goons.

Heather S. said...

Thomas loves the vacuum and cannot get enough of it. The girls always want to do the vacuuming for us, but of course, they cannot reach the top of the handle so it sticks up in the air just enough to NOT pick anything up. We have to pull the vacuum out all too often because we have CARPET in our dining room. (Not by my choice) so that's what we're doomed to live with until we have time and money to change the carpet out and get wood floors. I'm glad my kids aren't the only vacuum lovers.

The Holdaway's said...

Thankfully we don't have much carpet to vacuum, but Jase loves playing in the "piles of dirt" that get swept up from the hardwood floors...so, I'm not sure which is worse...