Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gnochhi Baby

There are few things better than homemade gnocchi.

Question: Why in the world would anyone make homemade gnocchi?

Answer: You have obviously never had homemade gnocchi, or you wouldn't waste time with such ridiculous questions.

So Josh and I decided to make some gnocchi today. It's actually pretty easy and oh-so worth any time and effort put into it.

As Josh would say, "One, free, nine, GO!"

First, you take two good-sized russet potatoes, peel and quarter them, and cover them with water in a heavy pot. Boil, covered, for 15 minutes. When they're done, drain, and then put them back in the hot pot for a few minutes to get rid of the steam and excess water.

Next take your potato ricer and rice those potatoes.

Wait, who in the world has a potato ricer? Not me. Because who needs another kitchen gadget that has only one purpose? I prefer my mesh colander, which works just fine, thank you very much.


So smoosh all the potatoes through the colander and you get something like this. Mmmm... ricey potatoes.


Then you make a well in the potatoes and sprinkle on one cup of flour. Whisk together one egg, one tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Pour the egg into the well. Then explain to your almost-two-year-old that, no, he may NOT eat the egg, no matter how much he wants to. Gross.


Mix that stuff all up. Swat your toddler's hand every once in a while to keep it from grabbing bits of dough. Because salty toddler tears do not taste good in gnocchi.


Now you knead the dough a dozen or so times. All the while still trying to keep that pesky toddler away. (What in the world is his fascination with my secret dough of mystery?!)


Now, use your super-fabulous-can't-live-without-it Zyliss pizza cutter and divide the dough into four parts. (Oh, you don't have a Zyliss? I weep for you.)


Then you start a-rollin'!


This is the part where a toddler comes in handy. He will be sure to tell you if your 'snakes' are the right size or not. (About 1/2" round is what you're shooting for.)


Next, you use that life-changing Zyliss and cut those 'snakes' into 3/4" pieces. (What? You still don't have a Zyliss? I'll keep you in my prayers tonight.)


Now, you roll the pieces against a fork. This gives the sauce you'll use a place to call home when it's time to eat.


To cook, boil in salted water for 30-60 seconds. You don't want to boil them for too long or they'll be slimy and tough.


I use them in one of my favorite meals of all time, which consists of: sage sausage, onions, fresh spinach, garlic, salt & pepper, and Parmesan.


Okay, that picture makes it look gross. But trust me - good. Because even my toddler and four year old ate it without a single "Eeeeewwww!" Which, I believe, makes it taste all the better.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I'm a big gnocchi fan myself. I haven't made any in a while but I ate some at Olive Garden last week (not as good as my own, of course!).

When are you going to have another giveaway so I can win a Zyliss? ;)

The Holdaway's said...

I was jsut thinking of making some gnocchi last night - what timing! And I need a zyliss too...

ElRay M Roper said...

I don't have a Zyliss. I made gnocchi once on my mission but we used mashed potatoes. I had never been educated about rice potatoes. Lookes very yummy. Would probably be great with the marinara sauce as well.

It's all about the "Crew" said...

Damon served his mission in Argentina -where gnocchi is a traditional food! I have made them once before, but we don't really know what good sauces to use with them. Any more good recipes? Send em this way!