Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cake of the Month - Joshie's Birthday!



Ladies and gentlemen...

WE HAVE A CAKE SUCCESS!

Maybe it was the nine months of practice I've had.  Or perhaps I receive special cake blessings for birthday cakes.  Or maybe it was the fact that used parchment paper and baker's spray and threatened the cakes, their children, and their children's children that if they stuck so help me...

Whatever it was, it worked - my cake layers came out great!


I used Mom's Layer Cake with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting, in my old standby The Cake Mix Doctor.  Why?  Because when I asked Joshie if he wanted a train birthday cake he looked at me like was crazy and said, "No, chocolate."  

It actually has dark chocolate frosting, but that's because I only had dark chocolate powdered coco.  Yum.  And I used M&Ms because Josh loves them and they're easy to decorate with.  It was slightly uneven on top, but only because I wasn't willing to try to level the top with a knife and I got tired of trying to flatten the frosting.  (I know to quit while I'm ahead!)

And most importantly, it tastes great.  Josh even demanded some for breakfast this morning. And won.  Hey, sometimes it's just not worth the fight. (And he only ate about a 1/3 of the small piece I gave him.)


Which reminded me of this.  Classic.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Pretty cake stand too!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that cake!

Maren said...

Thanks, you guys! It's such a nice change to have people compliment my cakes rather than commiserate with me in my disappointments. :)