Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Does anyone else have a problem with their kids on Sunday mornings? Mine are pretty good about getting dressed and ready most days of the week, but on Sundays they turn into MONSTERS. Suddenly Spencer can't even put his pants on correctly, let alone those tricky black Sunday socks. And Josh... don't even get me started on Josh. Let's just say it's not pretty.

It's like they just know that I'm at my most vulnerable Sunday mornings. I need to get to church early to make sure the Primary room is set up, and Lance is never home because he has to go early for bishopric meetings. I'm outnumbered and desperate. And we all know that children can smell desperation and fear - and then use it to their advantage.

Sometimes they do things on purpose to try to make me late: have tantrums, refuse to eat breakfast, suddenly lose the ability to walk. That type of thing. And then there are times where really random stuff happens. Like today. I was just about to get Josh dressed. As he was running away from me (per usual) he fell down and biffed it pretty hard (also per usual). He started crying (you guessed it - per usual) and so I picked him up (not usual - he usually makes a big deal about falling down just so I'll pick him up). I put him on his bed and left the room to help Spencer with something. I returned to discover Josh and his bed covered in blood. Just covered. He had skinned his knee during the fall.

Miraculously (and I don't use that term lightly here), he hadn't gotten any blood on me when I carried him to his room or on his church clothes, which were on his bed.

I quickly cleaned and bandaged him up, threw his bedding into the wash, and wrestled with him for the next 10 minutes to get him dressed. And I still got to church 15 minutes early. Not bad.

Okay, so what's my point to all of this?

I like Sundays - just not Sunday mornings.

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

Mornings are difficult at our house, and so are the last 15 minutes of sacrament meeting. I don't know how the kids know there's only 15 minutes left, but they seem to sense it.