I don't plan on ever being ashamed to admit my age. I think it's silly and slightly ridiculous. We all age. None of us are getting younger. What is there to hide? (Except maybe those gray hairs - hey, I'm not saying it's bad to take care of those signs of aging...)
While I was no dummy when I was 23, when I look back I am amazed at how much I have learned and how much I have grown in the past 10 years. So, I'm proud to admit that I turned 33 years old yesterday.
And it was a good day.
I spent most of the morning puttering around the house, getting random jobs here and there done. Wonderful Lance did a bunch of housework for me, which was nice because 1) despite how much I do it I don't really love cleaning up after my kids as much as they think I do, and 2) it meant a lot less bending for the day, which is important for me right now.
It snowed quite a bit yesterday, which is fairly rude considering I'm not really a big fan of snow. But the boys loved it, and they talked Lance into playing with them outside for quite a while. They went sledding down the hill in our back yard, built a ramp for the sled, threw snow at each other, and built a sweet snow fort.
I would have gotten more pictures, but I didn't want to go outside. Did I mention it was snowing?
I love Josh in this picture - he was eating snow just about every time I looked outside. And the child refuses to wear a hood or a hat. That kid just runs hot.
Poor Cole didn't get to go outside - he had had a fever the day before and I thought it best if he stayed inside. Plus, we don't really have any snow gear for a kid his size. Seems a little silly, since he'd probably only stay outside for 5 minutes anyways. I'm a mean 33 year old mom. (But he did get to have chicken nuggets for lunch, so I can't be that bad...)
I spent the afternoon in bed with some Cherry Cordial M&Ms and my laptop, catching up on my Hulu queue. I had planned on a quiet afternoon, with lots of snoozing and laziness. But then Josh came in and discovered my M&M's, quickly reminding me of the blessings of sharing and telling me I was in his way because he couldn't see my computer screen. And then Spencer came in and complained about losing a Wii game or something... I don't know - I kinda tried to ignore him, hoping he'd take the hint. He didn't.
I eventually got all of the kids out of my room (I had run out of M&M's). I settled down for a nap. A certain little baby, who shall remain nameless because her name is still a secret, decided it would be a good time to start kicking me in the bladder and stomach. It's hard to sleep when someone is kicking you in the bladder and the stomach.
That evening I decided I wanted to eat at Penn Station for dinner. I have only recently discovered their yummy sandwiches and fries. I know I've mentioned this before - several times, in fact - but I loves me a good sandwich. And they have good sandwiches. Plus, it's the kind of place you can take three little boys and not stand out. That much.
After our yummy dinner we decided to go check out this house in Battle Ground (a small town just north of Lafayette) that sets their Christmas lights to music. They even broadcast the music on an FM station so you can watch it all in your car. It was awesomeness.
Here's a bit of video. I'll admit that the last 30 seconds are the best part - it was a fun song that made the boys laugh and dance. Even Cole got in on the action, bopping up and down and kicking my seat in perfect time with the music.
We got home and had cake (citrus pound cake with milk chocolate ganache) (yum) and opened presents. I have the best family! They always get me what I want, mainly because they use my wish list on Amazon. (But hey - I never know what they're gonna choose, so it's always a surprise!)
Josh got me these cute mini trifle bowls from Crate and Barrel. He's been promised a special Christmas Eve dessert using them, which he is quite pleased about.
Spencer got me a really cute little pumpkin necklace from Etsy. Isn't that so cute - he knows how much I love pumpkins! I don't have a picture of it mainly because I'm too lazy to go upstairs and take a picture of it. But trust me, it's cute. I can't wait to wear it all next October.
Cole didn't get me anything because he's a baby. He also threw birthday cake all over the floor because he's kinda been a punk lately.
My Dad and Susie got me this awesome book.
I love Alton Brown. I love the science and entertainment that he brings into cooking. He's easily my favorite TV chef. (Too bad we're cheap and don't get Food Network anymore...) I can't wait to dig into this book and start cookin'...
But, it might be a while before I can do that because look at what Lance got me:
A Kindle 3! I was totally surprised and excited! Yes, yes, it was on my wish list, but I didn't really think anyone would get it for me. It was on there more for me to think about and hope to get someday.
I love it. As an avid reader I was afraid it might be a little weird to use compared to printed books, but no. I. Love. It. Now I will never have to be without a book. (Which I hate. When I don't have a book around the house to read I feel all lost and confused and productive in other aspects of life...) I am so excited! I am so happy! I am going to have to stick to a monthly Kindle Book budget!
I'm not sure Lance realized what he was getting into by giving me the Kindle, but I sure do love him for it. And for all the other things he did for me on my birthday.
It was a good day.



4 comments:
Ooh, I love my kindle too! Load it up with the free books. I've got over 70 books on there I haven't paid for. And the $10 scriptures are great - so much easier to take to church with the church bag, diaper bag, baby carrier, a million kids in tow. And it's so awesome for nursing - no pages to hold open! Have fun! Oh, and don't get any games - because then you'll really never surface back to the world.
happy birthday maren!
Happy Birthday! Love those lights! I never knew about them.
Alton Brown would criticize your Kindle for being a unitasker.
Post a Comment