Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blessing Dress

My dad is visiting for the week.  (He's attending the Purdue 75th Annual Pest Management Conference - excitement!)  His visits are always a good thing, but especially good this week since Lance is out of town and Cole is especially good at running away from me at bedtime, knowing full well that I can't run around and catch him.

Anywho, my dad brought the blessing dress that I wore when I was a baby.  Even though it's vintage 1978, I still think it's a really cute dress!  (Ginger: whenever I hear the word 'vintage' I think of you because I agree with you - it's just another word for 'old'.  But in this case it's okay because it's vintage Maren. :)


(Side note: that's the Irish linen table cloth I bought on my cruise in the background.  What, you don't go to Grand Cayman to buy your Irish linens?  Huh...)

My Mother's mother, Regina Burgoyne, bought this dress for my mom for me.  Apparently my parents were appalled at the exorbitant amount she spent - somewhere around $25-$30.  (Keep in mind that this was 1978 and my parents were dirt poor students.)  This makes me like it even more.


I really like the little pink roses on the material.  I'm not a big fan of the big, white, billowy and satiny gowns that most babies are blessed in.  I don't know... it's just not my style.

There's a little bonnet that goes with it as well.


It's cute, but I think I might try to make a headband with little pink roses on it instead.  I'm not a big fan of bonnets.  (And most babies I know aren't either...)  We'll see.

The dress is just a little yellowed in a few places.  Anyone have any surefire methods of getting it white again?

5 comments:

Marie said...

Zeke wore Jesse's blessing outfit and it was slightly yellowed when I got it. I soaked it in a sink of OxiClean overnight and then washed it the next day with more OxiClean. It worked great!

Gigi said...

What a pretty dress. And what a memory! I can't wait to see your baby girl in it!

ashley.and.graham said...

I love the lace details and even love the little bonnet - not too many occasions where a bonnet is right :). I'm usually not a frilly, pink either but on little girl dresses, especially one as special as this, it just seems perfect. I vaguely remember a friends using oxi-clean in a bathtub for her mom's wedding dress ... of course, you should take someones advice who has actually done it ;)

Anna said...

I've used a laundry additive called, "White Brite, or Bright" I can't remember how they spelled it, but it works really well. I happened upon it in the laundry aisle.

Amy Collins said...

So cute, and what a special touch for a such a special occasion. Can't wait to see her in it (in pictures of course). I would soak it in Oxy clean and than wash it in oxy clean, that should work.