I know - you'd think my ear exploding would be drama enough to last for the year. But no.
Okay, actually, this ear adventure wasn't nearly as dramatic. Or as painful. But it did involve a rather large shot in my hip, so there's that.
On Tuesday night I realized that instead of getting better, my left ear was actually getting worse - even after a full week of being on antibiotics! In fact, I could really tell there was fluid in my ear, and I was starting to actually hear less. Not good.
So I called the doctor on Wednesday morning. The only appointment openings they had were 1pm (right in the middle of nap time. No way.), or 9:45am (30 minutes later). I chose the 9:45, then went into turbo mode to shower and get ready.
Poor Cole and Tess did not want to go to the doctor with me again, mainly because they had just been to the pediatrician the day before and that office is WAY more fun than my boring doctor's office. Cole was a complete pill in the waiting room and I was getting a bit nervous about how this visit would go. But he pulled through like a champ and didn't destroy the exam room. In fact, the nurse even commented on how well behaved my children were. I nearly fell off the exam table.
The doctor finally came in, took a look at my ear, and asked in all seriousness "Did you take your medication?"
Um, no. I decided not to bother. I mean, an exploding ear doesn't need medicine, does it?
OF COURSE I TOOK MY MEDICATION!!!!!
I explained that, yes, I had taken all of my medication.
He was quite surprised because my ear was still really infected. Silver lining? My ear drum seems to be healing quite nicely despite the infection.
So he decided that it was time for some hard-core antibiotics. As in a shot and then 10 more days on pills. Would I be okay with a shot?
Um, no. Giving birth to four children via c-section didn't prepare me at all for any type of shot. I've never had a shot in my life.
OF COURSE I'M FINE WITH A SHOT. MAKE ME BETTER!
I said I'd be fine with a shot.
So the nurse came in and as I was lifting my sleeve she explained that she usually gave this shot in the hip because it was rather large.
And it was. I mean, like I just said, I've given birth to four children and have who knows how many number and sizes of shots. This was one impressive.
So I got my shot and headed over to the Wal-Marts for a fun 45 minutes of waiting for my prescription with Tess and Cole. During that time we did some shopping and got dizzy and nauseous from the shot. Once again I'm pretty sure the pharmacist took pity on me and moved my prescription to the front of the line.
$64 later and I was out of there. You read that right - TWO prescriptions, with insurance, $64. Can you believe it? These are some powerful drugs.
I spent the afternoon with a leaking ear, feeling pretty gross, and trying to rest while Cole and Tess climbed all over me. The joys.
As of today, though, I think my ear is getting better. The leaking has stopped and I don't feel quite as gross. I think I can hear a bit better, too.
So, let's all hope (and perhaps pray) that this is the end of my ear drama.
At least for now. I have an appointment with an ENT next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment