So we were stuck at home.
For the most part, the kids were really good about it. Spencer and Josh and were in heaven because I let them play as much computer as they wanted. Cole and Tess were in heaven because Spencer and Josh were home during the day.
But once or twice we all got a good case of cabin fever. On the first day it struck I loaded them all into the mini van and headed out to McDonald's. Everyone else in Lafayette had the same idea because that place was packed. But the kids had a great time running around and getting stuff on their faces. I even splurged and allowed Spencer and Josh to buy a couple of hot fudge sundaes - on their own. They felt quite grown up and sauntered importantly back to our table with the ice cream and my change.
After lunch I surprised them with a trip to Toys-R-Us.
"But Maren," you ask "You HATE Toys-R-Us! Why would you take your children there?"
"Why does Maren hate Toys-R-Us?" some other readers ask.
I'll answer you both.
1) I hate Toys-R-Us because they are quite often a) overpriced, b) understaffed, c) messy, and d) understocked. Also, our local Toys-R-Us is right next to - and I kid you not - our local
2) I took them because I wasn't paying for it. They had each received a Toys-R-Us gift card from their Uncle Dane for Christmas. Since they had each just received plenty of toys I didn't feel the need to go out and spend the money right away.
It was the perfect outing. Well, for them - for me it was a good lesson in patience. But that's precisely what I expected when we drove into the parking lot and I told them they each had $X amount to spend on whatever they wanted. An hour and one bruised toddler later, we emerged from the store with our treasures.
Cole was the hardest to shop for because he didn't really care about anything - until he saw Dumbo. That boy loves Dumbo right now. I could honestly quote the movie to you, word-for-word, song-for-song, on que. It's way fun.
Spencer got this Wii game, which he swears up and down that he loves, but he only played it for about 30 minutes and then went back to playing Minecraft on the computer.
Josh also got a Wii game that he only played for a little bit before going back to Minecraft. But he also had enough money left over to buy this Puffle, whatever that is. Some character on his Wii game. Whatever, he luuuurrrrvvveeess it.
Tessie got a nice goose egg on her noggin' when Cole tried to move her while we were shopping and instead knocked her over and fell on top of her. Her head made such a lovely thwacking sound as it hit the concrete floor of the store. Sheesh. But she also got her first My Little Pony, which she carries around and talks to. She also got a very basic Cinderella board book, which she LOVES. Seriously, I'm not sure why, but she does. Perhaps loving princesses really is a gender thing because I could never (and still can't) get my boys interested at all in fairy tales.
I do have to say that it's pretty fun to go into a toy store and let your kids pick out pretty much whatever they want. They were SO happy!
By Friday we were all ready for another diversion. I decided to practice a little democracy and allowed the kids to vote for where we ate lunch. (McDonald's was not allowed - I'm nice but not that nice.) Surprisingly, they all wanted Sam's Club. Well, except for Cole, who cried and tantrummed all the way in until he got his hot dog. I fed all 5 of us (including my surprisingly tasty pre-made Spinach Harvest Salad) for under $9. You gotta love Sam's! (I'm still praying for a Costco, though.) ((Okay, not I'm not. But I'm really, really hoping for one!))
I also promised them a treat after lunch, but we were all so full that we decided to go after Tess's nap. The treat? A trip to the newly-opened Pink Walrus frozen yogurt place. It's basically a frozen yogurt buffet where you get as many flavors and toppings as you want and then pay by the weight. The kids were in heaven. I supervised the amount of yogurt they got but let them go to town on the toppings.
As you can see, Cole approved.
So did Tess, even though she had to share with me. She kept picking off all the toppings with her grubby little hands. (Note to self: make Tess share with Lance the next time we go.)
Josh, my ardent buffet lover, was blissfully happy. I think his eyes were a bit bigger than his stomach, but to his credit he finished everything!
Spencer declared it even better than Igloo Frozen Custard. I don't know about that - it's kinda hard for any frozen yogurt to beat custard - but it was pretty good.
Not the most exciting Spring Break ever, but I don't think the kids felt too picked on. Hopefully the weather will be nice (read: not too hot) after school is out and we'll be able to make up for some of our missed trips!
2 comments:
Funny about Toys R Us. I went there today, to spend a gift card, and called Kris afterwards declaring how much I hate that place. Good thing it was free, but I couldn't find one of the things I wanted, so I still have $5 on the card. Which means I have to go back to that blasted place.
Tess & Millie should get together to play My Little Ponies. Millie added one to her collection when her bro came. She loves talking about her ponies (her? Talking?!), but the playing is short-lived.
Post a Comment