Friday, May 16, 2014

History Fair

Last night was Spencer's History Fair.  (Think Science Fair, only with history.  Tri-boards, presentations, and the kids dress up in costume.)

About a month ago the kids were given a rather extensive list of American History topics, or they could come up with one of their own.  Spencer forgot to turn in his top three choices and got stuck with - wait for it - the Jim Crow Laws.

Oy.

I mean, don't get me wrong.  This is an important part of history that everyone should know about.  But not exactly the most fun for a history fair.  And definitely hard to come up with a racially-sensitive costume.  Seriously.

The best thing about History Fair is that they do most of the work at school, which meant I didn't really have to deal with it at home.  That's the best kind of school project, in my book!

We ended up putting Spencer in his church clothes and putting a hat on him.  Hey, it got the job done! (And didn't offend anyone.)


It was pretty noisy in the gym, but Spencer did a great job of presenting his topic.  I was really proud of him!

I tried to get another picture, but sometimes little brothers are punks.


I think Spencer is just glad the whole project was almost over with... until next year when he gets to do it again!  (Fingers crossed for a better topic!)

No comments: