Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mother's Day... Finally!

I know, I know.  I'm a little late in this.  It's ridiculous.  Same old excuses: lots of end-of-term editing, sick kiddos, house work, yard work, whatever.  But today is like the 38th day of rain in a row here (okay, maybe 4th), and it's turned a bit chilly again, so I'm holed up in the basement with Tess and Cole.  We're snuggling in blankets and watching reruns of Phineas and Ferb.

It's a good life.

It was a good Mother's Day, too.

It started super early - like 4:30am early.  Tess came into our room, talking incoherently and climbing into bed with me.  I let her because I thought it was around 7am or something.  But then I looked at the clock and decided the girl needed to go back to bed.  I finally got her tucked in and back to sleep, just in time for a GINORMOUS thunderstorm to come rolling through.  I swear, the lightening was right outside our house, it was that loud.  I couldn't sleep for the noise, and I thought for sure that Tess would be coming back in.  But Tess stayed in bed and the storm ended and I finally got back to sleep for a bit.

We got up and started to get ready for church, only to learn that Spencer was sick.  Since I was introducing a new ward program that day I had to be at church, so Lance had to stay home.  Which meant I got to go to church with my three littlest imps.

It wasn't that bad.  I mean it wasn't great, either.  But it could have been a whole lot worse.  Although Cole did decide he wasn't going to Primary that day.  He followed me around while I did some Relief Society stuff and then lasted approximately 49.4 seconds in Sunday School, when he decided Primary was the more interesting choice.  That boy.

Lance made me lunch that afternoon and dinner that evening.  I chose sub sandwiches for dinner because 1) I love me a good sandwich, and 2) it was something easy that Lance could make. :)  We also made homemade peanut butter brownie batter swirl ice cream, which was a little piece of heaven in a bowl.

I didn't get any gifts on Sunday because I had ordered my gift the week before and it hadn't gotten here yet.  Yes, I ordered my own gift, because I knew what I wanted and it was easier than telling Lance and sending him the link and making sure he ordered the right one and on time and blah blah blah.  Anyway.  I'm finally getting a patio dining set!!  Yay!  Hopefully it will get here tomorrow or Friday.

Actually, I did get a couple of little gifts. I got this cute flower from church:


Way better than a rose, because now I can plant these in my garden!

Cole made me this little picture on the last day of preschool.  Super cute.


Random - here's the painting we did as a family at Cole's end of year program for preschool.  I know it's not Mother's Day related, but it's sitting in our front room and I figured I might as well add it here.  It's our fine art, and totally rivals anything that hack Monet ever did, right?


Spencer and Josh made me these little bowls in art class.  They also have a place of honor in our front entrance.


Josh also made me this CUTE book. It's so darling that I had to put it all on here. (Reasons #2 and 7 are my fav.)


"I love you because you read me chapter books."

"I love you because you cook the best shrimp."

"I love you because you help me with projects."

"I love you because you make me laugh when you tell me funny stories."

"I love you because you taught me how to ride my scooter."

"I love you because you take your time to play with me."

"I love you because you smell like roses."

"I love you because you work hard on helping me."

"I love you because you are really good at being nice."

"I love you because you are the BEST mom ever!"

Despite the early hour it started, it was a pretty great Mother's Day.

No comments: