Right now Lance and our friend Josh Munz are tilling the back yard. I am inside, trying to keep Spencer entertained so that he won't want to go outside and "help" (i.e., get in the way and probably get hurt and/or yelled at). It's hard. I would just take him to the park or something, but the baby's asleep. So right now Spencer is happily playing with water in the sink, a rare treat since he always manages to soak everything (including himself) within a 10 foot radius. So there probably won't be any pictures of the actual tilling; it would drive Spencer bonkers to see me out there, too!
It feels like lately I have had to be a bit more innovative or tricky with this whole business of mommyhood. Nothing too genius, but certainly out of the ordinary for around here.
For example, Josh has taken to spitting his food. All the time. Everywhere. It's gross and I always get covered with bits of whatever he's eating. So I have taken to either having a large towel around me or wearing my old raincoat.
The raincoat actually works really well since it's plastic; it wipes off easily. But it's a bit hot. Josh's high chair also gets totally covered. Bits of pureed veggies and meat and lots of crumbs find the smallest crannies, dry, and then are next to impossible to get off! I just throw the cloth cover in the washing machine, but here's my solution for the chair:
I put the high chair out while we water the lawn and 20 minutes later it's totally clean. Sometimes I have to spray off a few chunks with the hose, but other than that it's totally easy. Then it dries in the sun. I don't know what I'm going to do once it gets cold again!Josh is teething right now. He only has one little nub of a tooth coming in on his bottom gums, but it's sharp and I'm sure he's sore. I'm not willing to spend the money on teething biscuits from the store - they're way too pricey for what you get! So I made banana bread (with less sugar and applesauce for the oil), baked it as normal, cooled it, and cut it into sticks. Then I baked the sticks at 200 for and hour and a half. Viola! Teething biscuits that Josh LUVS.
I put them in the freezer now, and he likes them even better.I have been trying to walk a lot more lately. Lance is in a health program/contest at work that tries to get people to walk 10,000 steps a day for better health. This has motivated me to do the same; I even bought a pedometer last night to help me keep track. Perhaps I'll post my results every day in order to motivate myself. (Nothing like good old fashioned peer pressure as a motivator!) Anywho, I even bought a double jogging stroller so I could take the boys walking. I took them out the other day and they both promptly fell asleep. I walked twice around the block (2 miles total), and they were still sound asleep. I had to get some stuff done at home and had to get dinner started, so I couldn't keep walking. I knew if I tried to get either one out they would both wake up. But I couldn't just leave them on the front porch. So there was only one option:
They slept for another 45 minutes in the hallway and then woke up as happy as could be.On a completely random note, Josh has been really good lately about entertaining himself. I just sit him down with a few toys around and he plays and plays until he gets hungry/tired/or has thrown all of the toys out of his reach. I just love how intently babies play; it really is their work. He just ignores the random hits on the head from the duck (courtesy of Spencer). He really likes this toy I made with elastic, random buttons, and a small cow bell. Shake shake, move around in hands, eat, repeat.

1 comment:
Great idea for teething biscuits! I made some homemade ones for Jase too and froze them. He really liked them and they weren't too messy (the store ones are disasterously messy. These ones were bumpy on the surface, which he loved chewing on...
Post a Comment