Saturday, May 17, 2008

We Must Be True Locals Now

We had family pictures taken tonight. (By the wonderfully oh-so-very-talented Kayli - I'm sure copies will be showing up on her blog as well as mine in the near future!)

In our family it's a tradition to go out to eat after family pictures. It's my way of bribing the men in my life to wear the clothes I choose and to go along with the 'torture' that is standing close to your family, smiling, and pretending you love them... a.k.a. family pictures. (I don't think it's bad - I think family pictures are fun. But apparently my idea of fun seriously differs from my immediate family.) ((Too bad for them.))

Lance chose where to eat tonight, and boy howdy, what a choice it was!


That's right, the South Street Smokehouse.

Don't let the illustrious exterior fool you.


This is no hoity-toity restaurant. This is a place for locals who are serious about their barbecue. There are no frivolous things like kid-sized cups or green vegetables or friendly customer service. No, this place is all about the BBQ. You stand in line and order from the BBQ Nazi, get your own soda, and then sit at a booth (which, by the way, comes with its own roll of paper towels) as you take in hearty lung fulls of the smoke from the kitchen that lazily descends into the dining area.

As we waited for our order, the boys enjoyed looking at all of the pig paraphernalia around the room. Josh was in hog heaven. They especially loved the big pig statue at the entrance.


The smokehouse carries five different kinds of sauces for you to choose from. (This is approximately five times the number of non-fried, non-butter soaked vegetable options listed on the menu.)


I had the beef brisket sandwich, Lance had the pulled pork, and the boys both had hot dogs. (Kids are weird like that.)

Verdict? Well, I think the sign they have outside says it all.


(p.s. Dad - I think we'll have to take you here when you come out in June. It's your kind of joint!)

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Did they have fried pickles? When I worked at the mall there, one of my employees had a friend stop by with these really tasty looking fried pickle spears and a ranch dip.He told me that's where he got them. I really wanted to go get some, but I couldn't bring myself to brave going there for some reason. Call me snotty I guess. Or scared. Whichever you prefer.Anyway...I am sorry I missed out on the delicacies. But I live in KC now, so I have excellent BBQ on every corner.SO there!

Melissa said...

Hmmmm... South Street.... YUM!

Although it is one of the places I had an aversion to during my pregnancy. Kris was sad.

Maren said...

Kerry - I totally missed the fried pickles. (Lance LOVES onion rings, so I knew that's what we were going to get.) Okay, next time I go I'm getting some in your honor!