Okay people, I need some help.I have nothing to read.
I know, the horror, right? But seriously, I keep getting these books at the library that are just sooo boring or poorly written or just whatever. I can't read them. And nothing on my 'to read' list sounds good; or isn't in the library.
So, do you have any recommendations? I'll take anything. I'm going to the library Wednesday afternoon and the bookstore later this week.
Help me out! I'm going crazy without something to read! (Then again, I am getting more done around here and going to bed on time...)
11 comments:
Hey, I just went to the bookstore tonight! I got this book:
Red Scarf Girl by Ji-Li Jiang. It's a memoir of a girl who lives through the Cultural Revolution. My 7th graders read it, but I found it so intriguing I bought it myself.
Also, I LOVE The Know-it All by AJ Jacobs...it's about a man's quest to read the entire Encyclopedia. It's VERY funny in a nerdy sort of way (like he figures out how to calculate the speed of light in fathoms per fortnight--pretty cool, eh?)
I'm reading Sophie Kinsella's new book. Remember Me, right now.
Other recent reads, Redeeming Love, it's a heart breaker.
These is my words
History of Love
Maren, I just finished "The Secret Life of Bees". I think you'd like that one.
I LOVE "These is my words'; it's permanently on my bookshelf. I've also read the Secret Life of Bees, which was also great. I'll have to look into the other recommendations - keep them coming!
Have you read anything by Anita Shreve? They're usually pretty interesting and different, a little weird sometimes. The last one I read was on our European adventure last summer, Body Surfing. I also second the Sophie Kinsella rec -- just a fun read.
I haven't read any of these yet, but hopefully I will get to some of them once back home. Stephenie Meyer (Twilight saga author) has a book of the month on Twilightmoms.com Here are some of the ones she has suggested so far:
Enthusiasm- Polly Shulman
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian- Sherman Alexie
City of Bones- Cassandra Clare
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac- Gabrielle Zevin
Dragonhaven- Robin McKinley
and of course The Host!
Have you read The Historian yet? Loved it. I am currently reading Peace like a River so I can go to my moms book group. So far I am really enjoying it. I will also be reading The Next Thing on My List for July's book group. I don't know the author off hand right now!
Hopefully that will give you some ideas!
Oh...did you know that These is My Words has sequels? I think at least two more. I can't think of the names though...Sarah's Quilt, and The Star Garden maybe?
Anne Perry's books are wonderful. They are Victorian detective novels (with a 5 book WWI series thrown in for good measure) - and I LOVE them all. I read 47 of them in the space of about 3 months the summer before last! Easy light reading - nothing you have to think to hard about.
Kerry - These Is My Words sequals?! How did I not know that?!!?
Oh, also, I read the Historian a while ago and LOVED it. Lance thinks I'm weird because I always seem to be reading about vampires. What can I say? All the good books right now are about vampires!
Yep...sequels. And I was right with the titles. I haven't read them yet either though. And I just came across another book that was on my list but I forgot called Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. Also, a really amusing, totally light reading series that my parents have been into, and I read the first one not long ago and it was amusing, is the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman. Quite entertaining.
Now I really want to read!
Post a Comment