Gigi and I got to spend 14 hours in Chicago yesterday. No kiddos. No hoosbands. No diaper bags. No juice boxes. No fighting. No whining.
It. Was. Awesome.
Why just Gigi and I? Because I needed the entire back seat and trunk for a few purchases I planned on making. And because I also needed a day away from kids. (Sorry boys - momma loves you. A lot. But sometimes I love you more from far away.)
Why Gigi? The reasons are many and plentiful. Here are just a few:
Next, we hit The Cheesecake Factory. It was ten times yummier because we were starving. Ironically, we were so full at the end of the meal that we didn't have room for a piece of cheesecake. Oh well, next time then.
Then it was on to The Container Store. We all know how I feel about The Container Store, and I think I may have converted Gigi, too. (Although with it's prices, it's more a fun place to just browse and brainstorm rather than actually buy!)
And finally, we hit IKEA. And we hit it hard. It was so nice just to be able to browse, chat, get and give opinions about whether or not we should buy something... you know - shopping without kids. (I got some really cool stuff - but more about that later, once we've assembled it all.)
And then we ended the day the same way we started it: with a discussion-filled three hour car drive. We talked about anything and everything: our kids, our hoosbands, being married, church, Primary, growing up, our families, shoes, clothes, food, college, high school, intergalactic space travel... wait.
My voice was actually hoarse this morning.
It was great.
Anyways, we have decided to make this an annual event. Much needed, greatly anticipated, jam-packed full of entertainment, and just plain fun.
The only thing we forgot to do was take pictures. Oh well, next year.
Thanks for a great day, Gigi!
(And even bigger thanks to Lance for taking the day off and watching the boys. I love you!)
It. Was. Awesome.
Why just Gigi and I? Because I needed the entire back seat and trunk for a few purchases I planned on making. And because I also needed a day away from kids. (Sorry boys - momma loves you. A lot. But sometimes I love you more from far away.)
Why Gigi? The reasons are many and plentiful. Here are just a few:
- She's really, really fun! (If you don't know her, you should!)
- I knew she'd want to go to the temple.
- I knew she'd want to go to all the stores I wanted to go to.
- I knew she could use some time away from her kiddos, too.
- We have a similar sense of humor and we both like to talk. Essential for six hours in a car!
- She gives good advice. On purchases and on life.
- She offered to buy me a 44 oz. soda.
- And lunch.
- Did I mention she's fun to hang out with?
- And have you seen this girl load huge boxes into a car and tie the trunk closed with twine? It's a work of art, people.
Next, we hit The Cheesecake Factory. It was ten times yummier because we were starving. Ironically, we were so full at the end of the meal that we didn't have room for a piece of cheesecake. Oh well, next time then.
Then it was on to The Container Store. We all know how I feel about The Container Store, and I think I may have converted Gigi, too. (Although with it's prices, it's more a fun place to just browse and brainstorm rather than actually buy!)
And finally, we hit IKEA. And we hit it hard. It was so nice just to be able to browse, chat, get and give opinions about whether or not we should buy something... you know - shopping without kids. (I got some really cool stuff - but more about that later, once we've assembled it all.)
And then we ended the day the same way we started it: with a discussion-filled three hour car drive. We talked about anything and everything: our kids, our hoosbands, being married, church, Primary, growing up, our families, shoes, clothes, food, college, high school, intergalactic space travel... wait.
My voice was actually hoarse this morning.
It was great.
Anyways, we have decided to make this an annual event. Much needed, greatly anticipated, jam-packed full of entertainment, and just plain fun.
The only thing we forgot to do was take pictures. Oh well, next year.
Thanks for a great day, Gigi!
(And even bigger thanks to Lance for taking the day off and watching the boys. I love you!)
3 comments:
Jealous! Sounds like you had an awesome time. I miss IKEA. I don't miss driving that far for the temple, though. I'm practically a Utahn w/ one just 1 hour away! :)
You know - I've never been to IKEA yet (and that's probably a good thing for our checking account!).
Such kind words Maren. I feel like I should make a speech!
Post a Comment