I'm so excited - this is the first time I've been able to participate in the Crafty Conservative's I Made It Myself blog carnival.Oh don't look so surprised. I can make things.
For the past few weeks I've been hyping up the idea of sleeping in a big boy bed for Josh. Our conversations would go a little something like this:
Me: Josh! In a few weeks you get to sleep in a big boy bed, because you're a big boy. Isn't that cool?
Josh: No.
Me: Yes! It will be fun!
Josh: No way. No big boy bed.
And then one day our conversation took a different turn:
Me: Josh! In a few weeks you get to sleep in a big boy bed, because you're a big boy. Isn't that cool?
Josh: No.
Me: Yes! It will be fun!
Josh: Choo-choo train blankie on big boy bed.
Me: You'll sleep on the big boy bed if you have a train blankie?
Josh: Yes.
Me: Deal.
At which point we shook on it. Just kidding. But I was more than willing to get this kid a train blanket to get him sleep in a bed. I looked around for a while but couldn't find anything I liked, so I decided to make him the train quilt.
It turned out pretty well, I think. (Excuse the not-very-well-made bed. It's hard to make it look decent when you have a two year old jumping on the bed in between shots.) I decided to do a frayed edge just to shake things up a bit. Plus, it's easy. I liked the quilt, but I don't know that I love it. But no matter, it got the job done.
Josh loved the quilt. In fact, he loved it so much that he tried to carry it all over the house. So I decided to make him a smaller rag quilt.
I love this quilt! It was so easy to make and it looks really cute! I used 6" quilt blocks with a 1/2" seam. The quilt is 8x8 blocks.
Josh has since reneged on his end of the bargain; he does all he can to not sleep in his bed. (Last night he slept on the floor. Whatever, Josh.) But it's too late. I have caught the rag quilt bug. Spencer has already informed me that he needs a 'snuggle blankie', and I am making plans for a Halloween/pumpkin themed quilt.
5 comments:
Yippee, Maren! Those look great. Gigi made me a rag quilt when Eva was born and I LOVE IT so much. Okay, Eva does too. You've got some mad skillz now.
Found your blanket through Christy's blog. It is adorable! Great job!
Julie
Thanks Christy & Julie! I have to give my mad skillz credit where it's due - to Gigi, who makes even cuter quilts!
Cute blankies!
SUPER CUTE!! I can't wait to get my sewing machine for Christmas so I can make some of my own!!
Post a Comment