Thursday, September 11, 2008

Two Years


And now it's time to take a moment of silence for the happenings of two years ago tonight. Let us ponder the intensity, the hopeless optimism, and the life changing events.

The event?  Joshie's birth.* 

Or, as I like to call it, THE LONGEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE.

Just a moment, please.

Thank you.

I have a four page personal history of the whole traumatic event, but I thought I'd spare you all the gory details.  Instead, I'll give you a short list of the highlights.
  • Thirty-six total hours of hard labor
  • Lance complaining that the hospital chair he sat in being uncomfortable.  While I panted through a contraction.
  • The nurse informing me that I had the longest contractions she had ever seen.  Way to motivate, lady.
  • **Lance snoring while I was trying to sleep.
  • An anesthesiologist who looked like a young Michael J. Fox.  I was never in my life so happy to see a man with a large needle.
  • Three hours of hard pushing.
  • Grossing out a student nurse by throwing up while pushing.  (I remember almost laughing. Almost.)
  • Falling asleep inbetween pushes.
  • Not caring anymore and agreeing readily to the c-section.
  • Trying not to fall asleep during the c-section - and failing.
  • The gasp of surprise at Joshie's size and the weight guessing when he finally was born.  (9 pounds 15 ounces!)
  • Seeing Josh, thinking he looked just like Spencer - only fatter.
  • Being wheeled past the nursery to see Josh in his bassinet, and then passing out for who knows how long.  (Seriously, I have no idea how long I was out.  All I know is that they removed my epidural and cleaned me up and I didn't even know it.)
  • After my shaking calmed down (Which always happens to me.  I hate it.), being able to hold Joshie for the first time.  And then feeling my arms get tired because he was so heavy.
Fun?  NO.  Worth it?  YES.

Love you, Joshie.

*Okay, Joshie's birthday is tomorrow, the 12th.  But it all started on the 11th.  So there.

**Hmm... Some of these events might sound a little biased against Lance.  Let me just say that I LOVE Lance with all my heart and soul.  But when you're in labor with a moose baby, even the love of your life seems bound and determined to annoy you.  Even if he's not.  

4 comments:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

Happy birthday to Josh! Now I will never forget his birthday either - it's my grandma's birthday too - and my anniversary - He was born on a good day!

Kerry said...

Oh, the memories...they almost seem like my own! Almost... not quite 36 hours by about 12 hours, never got to the pushing stage, and the baby was about a pound smaller. Otherwise, it sounds awfully familiar...the LONGEST day ever, the throwing up, and the shakes...blech! I shook soooo bad with Avery my jaw hurt from clenching it so hard! The things we go through to get our kidlets here. And it is awful, but they are worth it!

beSlightlyAskew said...

I remember that evening, night, morning, afternoon...oh finally they want to come get Spencer? Just kidding, he was great. Maybe a little scared but I would be too if I was him and was about to get a big little brother like Josh!

Maren said...

No kidding, Margot! You really helped out that day/night/day. :) We'll always be grateful!