Hush.
Anywho, I'm a lot better about it than I used to be. Having two little uncivilized boys will do that to a woman. I've learned that it's sometimes better to just let things go; I can't control everything, nor do I really want to. But every once in a while I still have to exert my authority over the house, my life, whatever.
Today we discovered that the water line to our refrigerator is leaking, causing a nice mystery water spot in the middle of our carpet. It was truly weird - just a random spot in the middle of the floor, not against any walls; we'd dry it and it would magically come back in the same spot, never growing.
It ignored my cries of "Out out, Dang spot!"* Rude. Doesn't it know that I am in charge?
So the repairman can't come until tomorrow. And although the water to the fridge has been turned off and the mystery spot is slowly drying, I still felt the need to bring some order into the small, random chaos that has been my life as of late.
Enter some of the best and cheapest organizational tools ever: 3M Hooks. Dang, I love these things. I seriously buy them in bulk.
Confession time:
Be honest here - do you have a drawer like this in your kitchen? In our house we have two - one for the all the random kitchen gadgets I use a lot, and the other for all the random kitchen gadgets I use every once in a while. Hey, it works for me.
My measuring cups were taking up way too much room in the drawer, even stacked inside one another. I use them every day, and 99% of the time I use them on the other side of the kitchen. Enter the hooks:
Ta-da! Problem solved! Chaos ordered. Control exerted. I feel a lot better.
(In the interest of full disclosure, I actually have five measuring cups. But I ran out of room, so I put the last two (and least used) on the same hook.)
Are the hooks perfectly aligned? No. Are they evenly spaced? No. But do they get the job done and are they cheaper than professional counseling? Yes.
Now on to my next project: teaching Lance to no longer put them in the drawer. (This will be a good three to four month job.) Wish me luck.
3 comments:
I love it. I'll admit that that would seriously make me very happy.
ashley
What a great idea with the measuring cups. I'm going to do that too!!! Love your photographer reflection in the cups!
I FEEL you on this one!! It feels great to exert a little control over my own house. "little" being the key word there. Oh, and it takes Robb a lot longer than 4 months to be re-trained to put stuff in the right place. We've been in the house 9 years now, and he still doesn't know where some stuff goes.
Post a Comment