Monday, February 16, 2009

Patches


My kids have never really had the problem of putting holes in the knees of their pants. Until this winter. For whatever reason, we've had an epidemic of holes-in-knees lately, so today I decided to mend a bunch of them. I even went one step further and decided to put some cute patches on some of them. (Because patches are cool, right? I remember I had a Strawberry Shortcake one when I was little that I absolutely adored.)

So I went to JoAnne's this morning with dreams of Spiderman, Mario, and other manly patches to buy for the boys.

No dice.

There were around 28 different flowers, 82 butterflies, half a dozen hearts, and lots of other pink, glittery, girly patches. The boys were limited to sports balls and $5 trucks. (Note: I refuse to spend more than $2 on a patch.) Josh tried to convince me that Spencer would like a rather large, purple, sequin-enhanced butterfly, but I declined. He also tried to get me to buy a gold anchor outlined in gold sequins, resulting in a resounding no and having the song "YMCA" stuck in my head for the rest of the morning. In the end I bought a basketball, football, and a couple of baseballs. Josh was truly dissapointed.

Fast-forward to earlier this afternoon. (This is a true conversation, word for word.)

Me: Spencer! Look at the cool patches I got for your pants!

Spencer: Cool.

Me: Yeah, they didn't have any Spiderman or Marios or anything. But balls are cool, right?

Spencer: Yep.

Me (and for the life of me, I can't figure out why I said this): Yeah, they had a TON of girly hearts and flowers and butterflies. But you're a boy, and you wouldn't like any of those, right?

Spencer: Right. No - wait a minute. I LOVE hearts and butterflies!

Joshie: SEE?!?!

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails* my foot.

2 comments:

Mindi said...

That is so funny. I saw the title of your post and I thought "oh, no, did they did a dog?" I'm glad to see it was a post about holes in the knees instead.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! I laughed out loud. SEE?! He was right all along :)