Sunday, July 19, 2009

Limited


On Friday the Comcast guy came to take a look at our cable/internet connections. (We'd been having issues.)

Before he left he told me that our problem was probably coming from our very old (three years!) cable filter. He removed it, but didn't have a replacement with him and wouldn't get one in for a few weeks. This means that we now have free access to a ton more channels. Sweet, right? Well, I'm not entirely convinced that the cable guy's removal of the filter was completely altruistic.

See, we have what Comcast lovingly calls "Limited" Cable, i.e. "Low-as-you-can-get-cheapskate" cable. This includes around 25 channels, at least 10 of which are unwatchable. (Three C-Spans, two Home Shopping Networks, and a motley assortment of Asian, local access, and education access channels.) But we're okay with that because we mostly watch PBS during the day, and anything we miss we can generally get online. (We love you, Hulu and Boxee!)

But I have the sneaking suspicion that the cable guy thinks that if we have access to 80+ additional channels, and get used to watching them, then we'll be ready to fork over the extra money for them once the new cable filter comes in.

I'll admit that we've been having fun with the extra channels. The boys have been obessed with the Spongebob Squarepants marathon on Nickelodeon. (Lucky us!) And I've been enjoying Food Network and the Travel Channel.

However, it's 8pm on a Sunday night. And I just sat down to watch a little of the boob tube. And you know what? There's nothing on. Nothing. At least, nothing I think worth paying extra for.

Sorry, cable guy. I think we're gonna stay happily limited.

4 comments:

Ginger said...

That's funny, but If I were you, I would cut the cord completely from the cable company. That would show him!

Maren said...

Whoa whoa whoa... let's not crazy here, Ginger. ;)

Anonymous said...

You mean you couldn't find any golf . . . you are not your father's child. S

Sybrina said...

A similar thing happened to us with Comcast. We upgraded our "as low as you go" cable to get BYU football games. We kept it till Christmas season was over, and then we asked to be downgraded. Sponge Bob was also our kids' favorite, but by then I couldn't wait to get rid of it. They gave us back our deal, but this time we still had almost all the same stations as before including the MTN! And "doggone it", we still had Sponge Bob. So...we got jipped.

Now we are in this hotel and it's Sponge Bob every day again. My kids now dance and sing like Sponge Bob and I'm going so crazy, I just banned it yesterday. I'm looking forward to NO cable in the next house cause you're right, there's never anything good on- no matter how many stations you have.