Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy Birthday?

Friday was my 32nd birthday.  I have to say, it didn't really feel like it.

The boys were rotten most of the day.  Not that I expected them to be angels, but still.  I think I deserved a little slack.  Or at least a day of not having to argue with them over whose presents those were on the table.  Sheesh.

I spent the morning cleaning.  Scrubbing toilets.  Laundry.  Sweeping.  Vacuuming.  Lots-o-fun.

I spent the afternoon running errands.  Which included stuffing Joshie into his carseat because he didn't want to be strapped in.  Good times.

There was one bright spot - my friend Misty came over with her boys for a playdate.  It was nice to have another mom to chat with for a while.  (Sometimes talking to other moms is my only link to sanity!)

Then Lance came home. He really wanted to take me to 9 Irish Brothers.  No babysitter in sight.  Not exactly the most kid-friendly place, either.  *sigh*  Oh well, better than making dinner at home!

They placed us in this little cubby they called the "Irish Phone Booth".  Spencer was disappointed there was no phone.  Josh refused to eat.  Cole demanded to be held.  There were two small round tables, two stools, and small benches.  By the end of dinner I was exhausted from just trying to get the boys to behave.  It was like negotiating with insane, unreasonable, terrorists who don't speak the same language as you.  At least the waitress was really good with the boys.

We didn't even do cake and ice cream.  Mainly because I never planned on having cake and ice cream; I was going to make an awesome chocolate brownie trifle with raspberries and marscapone whipped cream.  Mmmm.  Only I ran out of time to put it all together.  We didn't even do candles or sing.  Bummer.

But life is not all terrible.  I got some pretty awesome presents.

My Grandma Roper renewed my subscription to Taste of Home magazine.  I love that magazine.



My dad sent me a Catherine Howard ornament for my Henry VIII collection.  AWESOME.  Thank you, Dad!  Now I only need Catherine Parr and my collection will be complete.  Anyone going to England anytime soon?  Haha. 





(Side note: I discovered this ornament online.  I lurrrrve it.  I don't $12 lurve it, but it still tickles me.)

Susie sent me a set of super-cute Crate and Barrel ornaments.  These two are my favorite - they remind me of Dr. Seuss and add some much needed whimsy to my tree.  Thank you, Susie!  



Lance got me Season 10 of ER.  Which would have been great, except I already have  that season .  Darn!  But that's okay.  I'm sure he'll make it up to me by returning it and getting Season 11 for Christmas.  *hint*hint*



He also got me this way cute apron, which made up for the ER  tragedy. It's almost too cute to wear while cooking.  Almost.  It also shows that he really does read my blog. :)



But the best gift, as far as most fun for the boys, was Dance Dance Revolution 3 for the Wii.  It's way fun and I'm way terrible.  But that's okay.  I'm better than Spencer and Josh.  At least for now.



The boys have spent the past two days fighting over it, which just shows what a great gift it is.

So.  Not the best birthday ever.  But I'm sure others have had worse.  Besides, how bad can a day be when it ends with watching this cutie-patootie?



1 comment:

Tiffany Alldredge Smith said...

I'm sorry it wasn't so great of a birthday. If it makes you feel any better - I just about cried all day on my last birthday. I hope your next one is better!