I mentioned last week that Tess had decided to wean herself. I had this whole big post written in my head about it. But now, in the course of taking care of four children, editing a 45 page paper about the economic interdependence between Taiwan and China (*yawn*), doing approximately 295 loads of laundry, and just living everyday life I have forgotten most of this brilliant, heart-wrenching post.
So I'll just tell it like it is.
Tess has always had issues with eating. She's a lazy eater and knew from the beginning that it was way easier to eat from a bottle than from mom. I'm kicking myself for ever having given her a bottle, but she was so tiny and not gaining weight and the doctor was freaking out and then she (Tess, not the doctor) got so sick... anyway.
A few weeks ago Lance was out of town for an entire week. This was stressful. During that week I realized how much money we had been spending lately on unexpected expenses. This was very stressful. During that week none of my kids wanted to sleep through the night, so I was up all hours and very tired. This was annoying. And stressful.
And I think this stress, coupled with Tess's general eating laziness, made her decide she didn't want anything to do with nursing anymore. Every time I sat down to feed her she would fuss and cry and cause general mayhem. This was stressful and frustrating and probably didn't help matters.
I tried all sorts of things and even called the local nursing center, but no dice. Tess would have none of it. I was feeling very sad about all of it - so rejected! Rationally I knew she wasn't rejecting me. But since when are mommas always completely rational when it comes to their babies? So I kept trying and trying, with no luck.
I'll admit that part of the reason I kept trying with her was because I didn't want other moms to think I was a bad mom for not nursing my baby. I know, it's totally stupid and lame, but there it is. (Who says peer pressure ends in high school?) Plus, I didn't want to have to take Tess to her next appointment and confess to her doctor that she was no longer nursing. I was pretty sure the La Leche League (a.k.a. the Nursing Nazis) would come and harass me about it.
I was on day four or five of this when I wondered at what point does the total frustration and sadness (for both Tess and myself) of this whole thing outweigh all of the benefits of nursing? Then I decided that I was at that point. If feeding times were always going to be apprehensive and frustrating, then it just wasn't worth it. A day or two later Tess was down to one feeding a day, and as of today she's down to none.
And you know what? We're both happier for it.
Do I wish I could have nursed her for the entire year? Sure. Do I like paying crazy amounts of money for formula? No way. But was this the right decision for the both of us? You bet.
Will I confess to Tess's doctor about this or lie through my teeth? We'll see.
4 comments:
I remember going through those same feelings with Tyler. He would nurse for maybe 5 minutes and then be done. Then he would be hungry again in just a few minutes. I thought after nursing twins I could nurse one baby just fine. I was miserable! My doctor suggested formula and after that my world was changed. I could go places. John could get up in the middle of the night to help feed him. I wish I could have nursed him longer but he doesn't seem to have been affected by it and I certainly do not regret my decision. Enjoy the freedom and forget about the nursing nazi's. Good luck!!
Totally agree with the bottle. Jack could not latch and had a poor suck from being preemie. I pumped for a year with him and I felt like I had to tell every one it was breastmilk in the bottle. I don't know why I felt judged but I did. I wonder why there is such pressure.
I had funny nursing issues with Levi as well. I honestly think I just wasn't producing enough milk, which is odd for me. I can see how this would be sad since she is your last baby, and it wasn't your decision to stop! However, you are right. You have to pick your battles, and this isn't one worth fighting. And if you are afraid to tell your doctor, maybe you need a more understanding doctor? He/She shouldn't judge you for something like that! Hopefully they won't.
Good girl. :) It is so hard to make that switch when it's not going right (as you said, who's rational) and the assumed peer pressure doesn't help. But after it's over and the switch is made, life seems so much happier. Glad things are going well. :)
Post a Comment