Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Cole's Pre-K Graduation

As you may have seen on Facebook or Instagram, today was Cole's Pre-K Graduation. I have a hard time with things like this. A graduation - for Pre-Kindergarten? Give me a break. I was pretty snarky about the whole thing - especially when I heard one mom RSVP for 10 people. TEN PEOPLE. I didn't even tell Lance about it because I didn't feel like it was really something he needed to take off work for.

World's greatest mother, I know.

I can't help it. I'm of the mind that if every little thing is celebrated, then is it really a celebration? You know, along the lines of if everyone is special then no one is special, right?

Anyways, today's program turned out to be more of an end-of-the-year thing rather than graduation. And it was actually pretty cute. I just wish they hadn't used the word "graduation"; I would've been much less snide. (Yes, it was their fault.)

 
The kids did a few songs. It was... a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds singing. Out of key and darling. Cole was pretty excited to see us there - he kept waving and waving.




Tess was mesmerized... for a while. Then she got bored and kept climbing all over me. The joy.


They gave each child a diploma and a "goof-ball" award - kind of like superlatives.


Cole was voted "Most Determined". TRUTH, MRS. FORD AND MISS PERDUE!!!



After the awards they showed a little slideshow set to music. It had all sorts of pictures and such from the year. It was cute - but not $12 cute, which is what they were selling it for. (Say what?!)  During the slideshow they had asked the kids a few questions and then showed their answers with their pictures. The first question was "What do you love about yourself?", but I think most of the kids thought it was something like "What do you love to do" because they answered "I love to play with my dad" or "I bake cookies with my mom". What did Cole answer? "I went to Mt. Rushmore!"

Classic.

Then they asked the kids what they wanted to be when they grew up. After lots of answers like "scientist", "doctor", "vet", and "teacher", Cole answered "A DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER"! This got a few good chuckles from the audience, the loudest from me. Way to reach for the stars, Cole! (Also, I have got to stop shopping so much online...)

After the program we had dessert in the social hall. Tess threw tantrums because she wanted a balloon and couldn't have one. But Cole behaved!


We sat with his good buddy, Evan. I really hope Evan is in Cole's Kindergarten class next year. He's such a spunky, outgoing kid, and really good for Cole.


Each child was sent home with a little gift bag full of little goodies, a book, a pencil, and a mini year book. It was super cute.



Here's the mini yearbook.  Cole was quite taken with it. (It includes photos from the year with little captions.)


Tess... had a hard time not being the center of attention. The horror.


So, despite my bad attitude, it was a good morning. Now, on to Kindergarten!

2 comments:

LethargicLass said...

My nephew wanted to be a pizza delivery guy :)

Christine Merrill said...

Our school got some push-back on the graduation thing, so now it's a "moving up ceremony" but it's still boring. They should do more singing and less marching, then the parents would like it :)