Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Egg Tragedy

Last night we dyed our Easter Eggs. I'm not quite sure why we do it with the boys, other than it's tradition and I'd feel like a bad momma if I didn't. And they really like it. But it sure is messy, and I feel like I end up doing most of the work. (Kind of like carving pumpkins at Halloween.)

The boys did have fun. We had a little stamp for the eggs, and they loved stamping their eggs chests, anything within reach... Spencer stamped a little too hard, cracked his egg, and nearly had a melt-down. But all was made better when we let him take the eggs out of the dye all by himself. (A real 'big boy' moment!)


The best part was when Josh was putting stickers on his egg. The egg slipped out of his chubby little hands (big surprise!), and landed on the floor with a loud crunch. Spencer would have burst into tears, but Josh just said, in his cutest voice ever "Uh-oh". Too cute.

We put the boys to bed and I got work on my 'grown up' eggs. Who knew the boys' eggs would turn out better than mine? (Cracks and all...)

Remember last year when I made these cool patterned eggs? They were awesome, if I do say so myself. So I decided to follow Martha's lead again and make these cool wax-resist eggs. Pretty, right? And the instructions made it sound pretty easy.

So I set up my little egg waxing/dying station. I decided to melt the wax in my electric fondue pot, which is pretty clever, if I do say so myself! But then I learned that I probably shouldn't use a plastic spoon to stir the wax, which was not so clever. (But kinda funny.) I started the eggs. Things were going well.


And then I got to the part where I had to get the wax off. The instructions said to heat them in the oven for five minutes and then use a paper towel to wipe the wax off.

No dice.

The wax wouldn't be wiped off. It just stayed or got everywhere. And then the dye on the shells got all funky looking from the heat. I tried just peeling wax off, but that didn't work either.

I spent a dang-blasted hour on the eggs, and they were supposed to turn out like this:


But instead they turned out like this:


@%&$#!!!! Dang.

It's totally tragic.

Okay, I know it's not that big of a deal. But it was a lot of work for the results I got. Plus, I always use dyed eggs to decorate the table for our big Easter dinner.

I can make homemade flapbooks, but these eggs threw me for a loop. Something's wrong here...

Martha, you totally let me down!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Can't you just use a white crayon for the same thing? Maybe that's too much coloring , I don't know! I haven't even boiled or colored eggs yet. Maybe in the morning? Church isn't until 1:30!