Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Anti-Bread of the Month

I had a bread failure yesterday. I know, I'm just as shocked as you are. Especially during this year of the bread.

I was making rolls for dinner and for whatever reason the dough just wouldn't rise. As far as I could remember I had done everything right, so I had no idea why, after more than an hour, the dough was the same size it had started out as. (This, coupled with a few other dinner faux pas led us to El Meson for dinner. Yum.)

Well, wouldn't you know - as we were leaving for dinner I noticed the dough had finally started to rise. Whatever dough. So I popped it into the fridge.

Tonight I made some garlic rolls with half of the dough, which turned out okay. With the other half I made scones, which turned out great! This is a rare treat for my family, because I detest frying food and usually only do it during our annual donut party.

Spencer was super excited about the prospect of scones - especially after I explained that scones are like donuts without holes. He was in little boy heaven when I let him put on all the toppings of his choice: peanut butter, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and chocolate syrup. (Can you tell we don't have dessert that often? The boy went crazy.)


I decided to try an experiment: stuff a small scone with marshmallows and chocolate chips and then fry it. Verdict? A little bite of heaven. (We might have to try this at the donut party this year. You have been warned!)


So the big bread mistake turned out to be a good thing. Have you ever made a mistake with something you cooked and then turned it into something better? I'm curious to see what other mistakes I should make. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say that everything I make is a disaster and not one of those disasters has ever turned out better...not one! So, see Maren? You are so amazing! Even your mess ups turn out fabulous!

Jen said...

I should give you Robb's family's recipe for buttermilk scones. They are nowhere near healthy, they are certainly super-delicious, and it makes enough to feed any army. when I make a batch for dinner, we put chili and cheese on it. Then we have jam and powdered sugar, or honey and butter on them for dessert. Then we do the same thing again the next night. YUM!!