Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fourth Annual Grilled Cheese Jamboree

Last night we hosted our fourth annual Grilled Cheese Jamboree.

Yes, that's right - a Grilled Cheese Jamboree.

And yes, it is as awesome as it sounds.

We started this tradition with our good friends from grad school. It's a really easy get-together and oh-so-very-very yummy! (Because grilled cheese sandwiches are one of the best foods ever, am I right? Answer: YES.)

In case you want to start your own jamboree, here are the six things you need:
  1. Cheese
  2. Bread
  3. Toppings
  4. Butter
  5. Cooking utensils
  6. Prizes
Everyone brings a bit of everything and then stuffs themselves silly. What could be better?

So here we go: a glimpse at the 4th Annual Grilled Cheese Jamboree!

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of everything just before we got started, but I did get to take a few shots before everyone arrived. I like to buy unusual cheeses - well, as unusual as I can get at Sam's Club. Remember, the Jamboree is about being easy, not hunting all over town for cheese! This Irish Harp Cheddar. (No, not Sharp - Harp.)

Here's a four Colby combo I found: Colby Jack, Pesto Jack, Garlic & Herb Jack, and Habanero Jack (spicy!)

Meat is a definite must as far as toppings go. Pork was favored this year: ham, salami, and bacon. Mmmmm...

Grilled Cheese Jamborees are not for dieters - butter on the outside of the bread is a must. We have regular butter but then also go a little gourmet with: Sour Cream & Chive, Sundried Tomato (my favorite!), and Garlic Parmesan (Like my little label flags? Just masking tape and tooth picks!)
We also had some random toppings like: Homemade pesto, Spinach Cheese Spread, and Strawberry Cream Cheese (for dessert sandwiches, of course!). Side note: we usually have Nutella and fruit for yummy dessert sandwiches but none of us remembered to bring any this year. Oh the tragedy!

There was a lot more bread than this, but I didn't get a picture of it. But you can see my homemade pitas, which were actually really yummy with grilled cheese!

I put out all of my cutting boards and any type of utensil I thought might come in handy, like: cheese knives, butter knives, pizza cutter, cheese shredder, paring knives, PC Sandwich press, etc.

And of course you have to have lots of sandwich making stations, because no one wants to wait to make their sandwich! Here's our George Foreman grill and our Convection Toaster oven. (BTW: we only use the Foreman grill for grilled cheese sandwiches!)

Here we have the electric skillet, a frying pan, and a waffle maker. Yes, you can definitely make grilled cheese sandwiches with a waffle maker!

Here's Ashley and Maura making their sandwiches. Maura and John came all the way from Chicago for grilled cheese. Yes, our Jamborees are that good! (BTW Maura - I want you to start a blog after your trip to Mexico! Just bite the bullet and do it!)

Elizabeth, Josh, and John enjoying their sandwiches.

Part of any good Jamboree is offering prizes for the best sandwiches. This year's prize categories (and winners) included: Fastest Sandwich Maker (Lance, not pictured), Most Picturesque (John, see below)...

...Gutbuster (Josh, weighing in at over a pound!)...

...and Most International, which was changed at the last minute to Grossest Theme Sandwich (John, with his "A Kid's Nightmare" sandwich). (Yes, those are peas and dates and Dijon mustard.) (And yes, he ate the whole thing!)

We were having so much fun, though, that I forgot to give out the prizes. Dang it!! So I'll be bringing them or mailing them over the next week. (I don't want to ruin the surprise by showing what they are here. But they are great, because the Dollar Spot at Target is great!)

Here's me making a yummy cheddar, pear, and bacon sandwich. Don't judge - it was really yummy!

Josh after seeing John's "Nightmare" sandwich.

Spencer enjoying one of Maura's fabuloso cupcakes. Mmm...

We worked off all of the extra grilled cheese calories with some Wii.

No comments: