Sunday, January 27, 2008

Primary Proverbs - Sweet Success!

If you recall, I have been having a major problem with the wiggles in my Primary class. No, not these wiggles:


(Although I suspect they would give me a whole new set of problems if they were in Primary!) I mean that my kids just couldn't stay in their seats if their lives depended on it. (Or my sanity, for that matter.)

I only had two kids in my class today, but one of them is my worst wiggler and the other is always easily swayed into misbehaving. (Too easily, if you ask me!) But I decided to try out my new... technique anyway. (Okay, let's call it like it is - it's not a technique! It's bribery! But it's sneaky bribery, so I'm okay with it.)

We got into class and the two boys were rough housing and jumping and around and being loud, per usual. I quietly sat in my seat and pulled out the cups with their names on them, my cup, and the candy. At the sight of the candy they immediately sat down and were perfectly behaved. You can tell these kids have been bribed before and know the drill!

I put six pieces of candy into each of their cups and started to talk about the major problem we'd been having of staying in our seats lately. I then explained that each of them had six pieces of candy in their cups that were theirs for the taking at the end of class. (Cheers all around from the boys!) But... I would be taking out a piece of candy each time they got out of their chairs without permission or disrupted class in some major way. Not only that, but I would put the candy in my cup and then give it to my little boys after church! (Gasps! No one wants the younger kids to get their candy!) I told them I wasn't going to go into nitty gritty details, but that I expected them to know how to behave.

Well... I have never had a class so well behaved. I made sure to have three activities where they could get up and get their wiggles out. And there were a few times when I had to remind them that they didn't have to shout their answers, even if they were excited. But by the end of the class I only had one piece of candy in my cup.

I was so proud of them! I think they might have actually learned something in primary today - a major accomplishment for me and for them!

Side note: I wore a white sweater to church today and came home with... a white sweater! Not a single stain or speck of dirt. Another major accomplishment! :)

No comments: