When I planted six tomato plants in the spring I promised Lance that I would make him some homemade marinara sauce once we had enough tomatoes. After eating sliced tomatoes every lunch for quite a while, putting them in almost all of our dinners, and making some excellent fire roasted salsa, we had enough tomatoes for the marinara. :) I took my recipe from my Joy of Cooking cookbook.
I had enough tomatoes that I made a double batch so that I could use some today and freeze the rest for the cold days of winter that are coming.
First, I chopped two carrots, two sticks of celery (including leaves), two onions, and two bell peppers (from my garden, too!). I sauteed this in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil for around ten minutes.
I had enough tomatoes that I made a double batch so that I could use some today and freeze the rest for the cold days of winter that are coming.
First, I chopped two carrots, two sticks of celery (including leaves), two onions, and two bell peppers (from my garden, too!). I sauteed this in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil for around ten minutes.
Then I added 4 minced cloves of garlic, a 1/2 cup of chopped basil leaves, and a sprig of rosemary. I sauteed again for another couple of minutes.
While the veggies sauteed I seeded and chopped 5 1/2 pounds of fresh tomatoes. Yum!
I added the tomatoes, 2 tbls tomato paste, a few tsps of kosher salt, and about 10 grates of freshly ground pepper.
Then I simmered all of this for around 20 minutes. During this time I cleaned up a bit around the kitchen and had to dodge an apron-eating baby on the floor. (Probably the most difficult part of this recipe - he moves a lot and is easy to trip over!)

When it was done, it looked something like this:
Although it tasted really good, it looked kinda funky. (Who wants to eat veggies that have had most of the color sauteed out of them?) So I decided to puree it with my handy-dandy hand blender. (One of the best Mother's Day gifts I ever got!) The finished product was pretty smooth, but still very homemade-looking and tasting! (Side note: I forgot one one important ingredient - fresh lemon juice & lemon zest. Lemon makes an tomato dish taste more 'tomatoey'. I often add some to canned sauce to help it taste more 'fresh'.)
I served it with spaghetti and meatballs. (I didn't make the meatballs - this time.)
I think everyone enjoyed dinner! Multo bene!

Besides learning how to make homemade marinara today, I also learned how to make animated GIFs. (Yeah, about 8 years behind the curve, but still a fun thing to know!)

3 comments:
Looks yummy! Also liked the last animated gif...
I can't stop laughing!!! I love your face as you slurp the spaghetti in and out of your mouth! I'm going to try this marinara stuff too!
I'm assuming you mean "Molto bene". The Italian may be lacking but the spaghetti looks great.
Post a Comment