Pretty normal day, actually. Ho hum, pig's bum. (Haha! Any true Louise Rennison fan would recognize that. Have you read her Georgia Nicolson books? They're fab. No really. I laugh out loud whenever I read one. I am finally getting around to Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers. Hey, I've been really busy for... two years. Anywho, they are a must read. You'll laugh your nuddy pants off.)
Stay on target, Maren.
Speaking of staying on target, which we really weren't but we are now, I got Spencer's fall progress report today.
Let me first preface this by saying that in the weekly newsletter they said they didn't give anyone any "Outstandings" since it's so early in the year. So no biggie when I glanced at the report and saw all "Satisfactory". Wait - I missed something - I nearly laughed out loud when I read "Needs Practice" in "Stays on Task".Flashback to this morning. I have laid all of Spencer's clothes out on the couch and told him to get dressed. I then go to brush my teeth, get Josh dressed, etc. before it's time to go. All the while, every few minutes I call out "Spencer, are you getting dressed?" Only when he doesn't answer (on the third or fourth call) do I know something is awry. I come out to the living room to find Spencer, hopping and dancing around the room, with his underpants stuck at knee level and his shirt around his neck and on one arm. He is pretending to be Curious George. "Spencer! Why aren't you getting dressed?!" He then looks at me like I'm crazy, as if I have never in this lifetime ever asked him to get dressed before and he doesn't have various bits of clothing stuck in the wrong places. "I'm watching George." Stays on task, indeed.
Not that I'm worried. He's three and a half, for Pete's sake. He has the attention span of a fruit fly on speed. Unless it has to do with Spiderman, and then you have him hooked for hours. Perhaps if they based all of their lessons and activities around Spidey...
Stay on target, Maren!
So I decided to have a talk with Spencer about it. Not because I was worried or thought it would do any good; I just wanted to see what he would say. (Good blog fodder!)
Me: Spencer, do you know what staying on task means?
Spencer: Yes.
Me: What does it mean?
Spencer: I don't know.
Me: It means once you start something, you finish it. Like if you're doing crafts in preschool, you should finish it all the way. Or if you're singing a song, you shouldn't just stop singing and start to play with the toys.
Spencer: I like the playground. I like the hippo.
Me: Yeah, so when you're at preschool, you should do what your teachers ask, and stay on task. Can you try to do that?
Spencer: Yeah.
Me: Good boy. Stay on task.
Spencer (pointing to something in the distance): Look! A tree!
I can't help it, I turn around to look. Spencer runs off into the office because Josh is in there playing with Spencer's blocks.
It should be noted that we were in the living room; not a tree in sight.
Dang, that kid's good. It's not that he can't stay on target. He's just a master of diversion.
I now picture him at preschool...
Teacher: Okay children, let's sit in the and learn about shapes.
Spencer (pointing to something in the distance): Look! Spiderman!
The teacher and all the kids turn around to look.
Spencer makes a break for the playground.
Look, a horse!
1 comment:
Wow, his horse looks like a real horse!!! Sam's thing is that he loves to make the crafts, but he never wants to make what they ask him to. He was supposed to make a horse....he made a "machine". Today he was supposed to make something yellow, that I'm sure was not intended to be a transformer.
Post a Comment