A big birthday thank you to Susie and Dad for sending me a new ornament for my tree. (The one on the right.)

Yes, my friends, that is Henry the VIII on the left. In the middle is Ms. Anne Boleyn (beheaded), and the latest edition is Ms. Catherine of Aragon (divorced).
Oh, you need an explanation... ? Okay.
I went to London for 10 days with my dad and brother back in the summer of '99. I found these Henry VIII ornaments in Windsor and fell in love. You could buy Henry and all six of his unfortunate wives, plus his daughter Elizabeth I. They were just soooo funny to me! But, being a poor student back then, I could only afford Henry. So poor Henry has been all alone for these many years until now. Dad and Susie went to London this summer and brought back Anne for me. And then they surprised me for my birthday with Catherine. Only four more to go... (I wonder if Henry ever had those exact thoughts?)
And why Henry, you wonder? Henry VIII was awesome! I mean, he was just so full of himself, so confident, so crazy, so narcissistic, and yet so charismatic that he got just about everyone who mattered to go along with his crazy schemes. Not only did he go through six wives because none of them gave him a son who lived, he also taxed people like crazy and liked to fight with the French for no reason. (And who doesn't, I say.) Plus, and this is my favorite, he decided to start his own church (the Church of England), force everyone in the country to convert, and make himself the head of it because the Pope excommunicated him for divorcing one of his wives. Awesome.
Okay, not exactly hero material. But definitely one of the most interesting figures in world history. At least to me. And since this is my blog, that's all that really matters. :)
Yes, my friends, that is Henry the VIII on the left. In the middle is Ms. Anne Boleyn (beheaded), and the latest edition is Ms. Catherine of Aragon (divorced).
Oh, you need an explanation... ? Okay.
I went to London for 10 days with my dad and brother back in the summer of '99. I found these Henry VIII ornaments in Windsor and fell in love. You could buy Henry and all six of his unfortunate wives, plus his daughter Elizabeth I. They were just soooo funny to me! But, being a poor student back then, I could only afford Henry. So poor Henry has been all alone for these many years until now. Dad and Susie went to London this summer and brought back Anne for me. And then they surprised me for my birthday with Catherine. Only four more to go... (I wonder if Henry ever had those exact thoughts?)
And why Henry, you wonder? Henry VIII was awesome! I mean, he was just so full of himself, so confident, so crazy, so narcissistic, and yet so charismatic that he got just about everyone who mattered to go along with his crazy schemes. Not only did he go through six wives because none of them gave him a son who lived, he also taxed people like crazy and liked to fight with the French for no reason. (And who doesn't, I say.) Plus, and this is my favorite, he decided to start his own church (the Church of England), force everyone in the country to convert, and make himself the head of it because the Pope excommunicated him for divorcing one of his wives. Awesome.
Okay, not exactly hero material. But definitely one of the most interesting figures in world history. At least to me. And since this is my blog, that's all that really matters. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment