We started with x-rays. I swear, my family has been through so many x-rays lately we should be glowing. Actually, I guess it would be the boys who would glow, since I get to wear and oh-so-stylish (and heavy!) lead apron. I picture the them glowing something like this

only in little boy form, not kitty form. Although, with enough radiation you never know... (Kitties... kiddos... kitties... kiddos...)
Anywho, Josh was not too happy with the x-rays. As soon as I sat him on the table he got this crazed look in his eyes, as if he thought we were going to eat him. He grasped me with all his Joshie super-strength and whined and would not believe that nothing there would hurt him. To is credit he never did totally flip out, although I suspect he would have if we had done more than the five we needed!
The orthopedist was really nice and seemed to know what he was talking about. (When he could get a word in edgewise - Spencer had diarrhea of the mouth and would NOT STOP TALKING AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS AND AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE for the entire time the doctor was in the exam room. The attention moves away from him for one minute and sheesh!)
He said (the doctor, not Spencer - we just tuned him out as best we could) that Josh's x-rays looked fine. He could see why our pediatrician recommended him to get looked at, though, since Josh's problem is particularly pronounced. He asked if anyone in our family had flatfeet and I told him that Spencer does - big time.
The doctor went on to explain that this is fairly common in kids, and that it usually corrects itself by the time they're 5. If it doesn't correct itself, there's not much you can do about it, but it's not the end of the world because it's not a big medical problem. Sometimes there's some leg pain, but nothing severe. (And I thought Spencer was just trying to get attention when he complained about his legs hurting!)
So, nothing majorly wrong with Josh. (Physically, that is. Attitudinally is a whole other blog!!) We do have to go back in two months if he's not walking by then, but I highly doubt that will be the case.
I just wish we could have kept the x-rays to add to our ever-growing collection. In the meantime, perhaps I'll invest in one of the these for all the future radiation I'm bound to be exposed to!

No comments:
Post a Comment