
Kudos to Rachel for coming up with the theme: Super Babies! Hence Josh's awesome superhero cape and persona: Mr. Unusually Large and Strong. I made the cape out of an old pillow case; didn't have to even sew a stitch. Nice. And the sweat bands were made out of one of Spencer's old socks. Josh loved 'flying' with daddy before dinner.
I decided to have dinner outside, since it was still nice out that afternoon and it would make for a much easier clean
up. But of course my unlucky streak for outdoor events continued: by dinner time the wind was blowing and it was chilly! (I swear, it could be 100 degrees out, but if I decide to have a dinner or a party in the
backyard, the temperature will drop at least 30 degrees. I should start selling this as a service...)
We had a hot dog bar, with lots of grilled hot dogs (the best way to cook hot dogs, in my opinion) and toppings. I even had "recipes" for different types of dogs. Yum!
After a chilly dinner we moved the party inside. (BTW, I copied the birthday sign idea from Martha Stewart Crafts. Too cute!) It was time for our Super Baby events!
After a chilly dinner we moved the party inside. (BTW, I copied the birthday sign idea from Martha Stewart Crafts. Too cute!) It was time for our Super Baby events!
First was the 10 Meter 'Dash'. Notice how Josh was in the lead for a bit but that sneaky Nacho Libre Rella totally held him back by his cape. Ben (who decided to keep his super-identity a secret), got sidetracked early on, which is a shame because he totally could have smoked the other two!
Second was the Javelin throw. We decided, since we were inside, to use straws instead of real javelns. (I didn't want any holes in my walls!) The babies decided that it was a good strategy to chew on the javelins before throwing them; apparently drool helps them travel further.
Fourth was supposed to be weight lifting. But we couldn't think of
anything weighty that would be safe for babies to pick up and carry. And, especially in Josh's case, to throw. So we skipped it.
Fifth was the Daddy Derby. I don't know if anyone won, but it sure was fun to see the 'horseys' and 'jockies'!
Finally came the main event - the birthday cake! Rachel made a sheet cake and we let the babies have at it. But they were feeling a bit reserved and didn't get quite as messy as expected. A pleasant surprise, actually! Josh was the last to start eating, but he was definitely the last to stop!
Happy first birthday, Ben, Josh, and Rella!

1 comment:
Love this post!! It is so cute and once again shows of your amazing creativity, Maren! Great job!!
ashley
Post a Comment